WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE

Monday, March 26, 2018 - 10:00 AM

 

 

Shaun Gillilland, Chairperson

Thomas Scozzafava, Vice-Chairperson

 

 

Chairman Gillilland called this Ways and Means Committee Meeting to order at 10:00 a.m. with the following supervisors in attendance: Robin DeLoria, Archie Depo, Shaun Gillilland, Joseph Giordano, Charles Harrington, Ronald Jackson, Michael Marnell, Stephen McNally, Noel Merrihew, Dean Montroy, James Monty, Ronald Moore, Gerald Morrow, Roby Politi, Randy Preston, Thomas Scozzafava, Michael Tyler and Joe Pete Wilson.

 

Department heads present were:  Michael Diskin, Don Jaquish, Daniel Palmer, Mike Mascarenas, Sue Montgomery-Corey, Judy Garrison and Dan Manning.

 

Deputies present:  Jim Dougan and Michael Blaise.

 

News media present:  Keith Lobdell – Sun News

 

 

GILLILLAND:  I will call this meeting of the Ways and Means committee to order and we’ll start with the Pledge of Allegiance please.  Roll call please.  We’ll go into resolutions please.

 

 

RESOLUTIONS RECOMMENDED BY THE HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE

Chairman – C. Harrington    Vice-Chairman -  N. Merrihew

Monday, March 12, 2018

 

1.    RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING AN AMENDMENT TO THE VANESKY & COMPANY CONTRACT BEARING THE CONTRACT NO. MISC-18-0025, IN THE AMOUNT OF $5,833.00, TO PROVIDE THE COUNTY WITH A STRUCTURAL COMPONENT DEPRECIATION MODEL FOR A NEW DSS BUILDING.  Morrow, Marnell

 

2.    RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF PARTICIPATING WITH ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY AND OTHER NORTHERN NEW YORK COUNTIES TO EITHER BECOME A PARTNER UNDER A CORPORATE STRUCTURE OF INDIVIDUALLY CONTRACT FROM A MINIMUM NUMBER OF BEDS IN A SECURED DETENTION FACILTY AS MANDATED BY RAISE THE AGE.  Monty, Merrihew

 

3.    RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF A NEW YORK STATE INITIATIVE TO SUPPORT FUNDING AND TREATMENT AND TRANSITION SERVICES TO INDIVIDUALS WITH SUBSTANCE USE DISORDERS (SUD) WHO ARE INCARCERTATED IN COUNTY JAILS.  Harrington, Jackson

 

4.    RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE FOLLOWING APPOINTMENTS OF TERRI MORSE, ALLEN JONES AND JIM MONTY TO THE PROFESSIONAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE (CHHA) AND PUBLIC HEALTH ADVISORY COUNCIL (PAC-PHAC)  Merrihew, Marnell.  Monty - abstain

 

5.    RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT TO APPLY FOR AND ACCEPT AN ARHN PREVENTION AGENDA GRANT IN THE AMOUNT OF $1,000.00, TO INCREASE BREAST FEEDING RATES AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS FOR $1,000.00.  Giordano, Harrington

 

6.    RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT TO APPLY FOR AND ACCEPT A DSRIP GRANT IN THE AMOUNT OF $1,598.00, TO IMPLEMENT A COPD TRAINING PROGRAM AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS FOR $1,598.00.  Morrow, DeLoria

 

7.    TABLED:  RESOLUTION INTRODUCING PROPOSED LOCAL LAW NO. 3 OF 2018 ENTITLED, “A LOCAL LAW TO RAISE THE LEGAL AGE OF SALE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS IN ESSEX COUNTY TO 21 YEARS OF AGE.”  Jackson, Scozzafava and tabled.

 

8.    RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A CONTRACT AGREEMENT BETWEEN ESSEX COUNTY OFFICE FOR THE AGING AND DENNIN AND DENNIN, IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $12,000.00, FOR LEGAL SERVICES FOR OLDER ADULTS WITH BUDGETED FUNDS.  Monty, Merrihew

 

9.    RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE OFFICE FOR THE AGING DEPARTMENT, INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $786.25, DSRIP FUNDING FROM ADIRONDACK HEALTH INSTITUTE.  Tyler, Merrihew

 

 

MARNELL:  Yes, back to the number one resolution where are we looking to put this building if we do it?  Where the food service building is now would that be a site?

PALMER:  Honestly I haven’t determined that I think one of the areas that we looked at is potentially where the jail is now if we moved the jail where it currently is we might be looking at that location.

 

MARNELL: This old jail out here?

 

PALMER: The old jail, yes because that is; something has to be done with it the roof is gone, the structure is bad it may have to be removed if that was removed there may be room there for it but I can’t get a sense of whether there is room there for it until I see this kind of study that tells us exactly how much square footage or that kind of stuff that we would actually need.  Once this study goes through you’ll be able to see how big the building needs to be and where it would best fit you would make that determination later.

 

MARNELL: I think we mentioned this two or three years ago about the vacant lot that is on Main Street?  Someday we’re going to be out of room are they on their own?

 

PALMER: No I think that’s always been there I think that property is kind of up for offer so to speak. I think you know down the road if it becomes something necessary we can certainly look at that as well.

 

MARNELL: I would keep my eye on it.  We can’t go this way.  We can’t go that way. We will be landlocked.  Thank you.

 

 

RESOLUTIONS RECOMMENDED BY THE PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE

Chairman – S. McNally     Vice-Chairman – G. Morrow

Monday, March 12, 2018

 

10.  RESOLUTION OF APPRECIATION AND CONGRATULATIONS TO DANIEL SWEATT UPON HIS RETIREMENT AS ESSEX COUNTY DEPUTY FIRE COORDINATOR/FIRE INVESTIGATOR.  Jackson, unanimous

 

11.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE EMERGENCY SERVICES DEPARTMENT INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $799,637.00, STATE INTEROPERABLE COMMUNICATIONS GRANT (SICG) GRANT.  Jackson, Morrow

 

12.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE EMERGENCY SERVICES DEPARTMENT INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $215,872.00, PSAP GRANT.  Giordano, Jackson

 

13.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING AN AGREEMENT WITH NEW YORK STATE DIVISION OF HOMELAND SECURITY AND ESSEX COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES FOR TEMPORARY LOAN OF FIRE SUPPRESSION FOAM EQUIPMENT.  Giordano, Wilson

 

14.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO GO OUT TO BID OR RFP FOR ENGINEERING, LICENSING, TOWER SITE ACQUISITION, FREQUENCY SEARCH AND PATH STUDIES FOR THE VERMONT TOWER PROJECT.  Jackson, Moore

 

GILLILLAND:  Discussion?

 

MONTY:  This tower now when you were explaining this before Don you said there’s not a tower in Vermont? Or we already have a tower in Vermont?

 

PALMER:  We would have to ask Don. Do you want to give Don the courtesy of the floor?

 

JAQUISH:  There are two sites that we’re looking at both have existing towers but until we actually investigate it we don’t know the feasibility of actually using them.  It is very unlikely that we’ll build a tower.

 

MONTY:  But we don’t have one that we’re using right now?

 

JAQUISH: No.  We do have one far south called Grandpa’s Knob but that’s too far south.

 

MONTY: Okay but wasn’t there a pathway study done when they put that up?

 

JAQUISH: Yes it was too far.  That links to Mount Defiance so this one would not be adequate to that purpose, farther north is where we need the coverage.

 

PALMER: Yeah these are line of sight that’s the problem with these.

 

JAQUISH:  If you go over thirty-five miles with a microwave it’s called a frenzal effect but it actually starts deteriorating.

 

MONTY: I was under the impression when you explained it the first time that we didn’t have anything over there and then I see a map where we do have one that we’re using.

 

JAQUISH: Yeah that’s down way south though.

 

MONTY:  Right.

 

TYLER:  Just so I understand the study was done when they first put that tower, to use that tower over there basically stipulated that it wasn’t good enough?

 

JAQUISH:  Yes the Monkton tower that we were looking at it’s not structurally sound enough.

 

MONTY: I guess it would formulate another question in my mind if we knew that pathway study was done or was it Grandpa’s now?

 

JAQUISH:  Yes.

 

MONTY: Why did we choose that one when we could have of –

 

PALMER:  Because we needed to get to Mount Defiance.

 

JAQUISH: Yes.

 

MONTY: Okay. There wasn’t one, you couldn’t come somewhat farther North and used, that would have served the whole county?

 

JAQUISH:  No. We don’t do the studies the engineering companies do. We looked at every feasible location that we can think of and that’s what we ended up with is Grandpa’s mountain because it’s not a Greenfield site and there was a tower there that existed. It was far cheaper to locate on that tower and it served the purpose that we needed which was to get to Gore Mountain.

 

JACKSON:  It’s just a link, you don’t broadcast from that it’s just a relay station.

 

JAQUISH:  Yes.

 

15.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE EMERGENCY SERVICES DEPARTMENT TO ACCEPT A GRANT FROM DORMITORY AUTHORITY IN AN AMOUNT OF $500,000.00, FOR THE PURCHASE OF A FIRE TRAINING BUILDING.  Monty, Morrow

 

16.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH FEDERAL ENGINEERING TO ADD PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND OVERSIGHT TO ANGIER HILL PROJECT IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $12,975.00, AND EXTEND THE CONTRACT TERM THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2018.  Merrihew, Giordano

GILLILLAND:  Discussion?

 

JACKSON: I’m a little foggy on this one.  I don’t know why but I don’t remember from the committee meeting Don can you tell me about this one? 

 

JAQUISH:  The Angier Hill site due to a lot of different things we had to figure out a way to stop the bad power that was going on there off the generator we had FM switching stations basically the owner said, you know that’s your problem you figure out how to fix it. We’ll let you put a generator in or you can use a DC power supply and we opted for the power supply project much cheaper you don’t have to fuel it there’s a whole lot of reasons why we’re doing it but in order to bid this out, we bid it out twice and got no response the first time the second time we got really high bids, only two so we really need somebody to oversee. We needed a professional engineer then to stamp the plans, we had to hire Federal Engineering and they’re going to oversee the install of the battery banks and the equipment that has to go with it but we really had to pay them to oversee the project because they are professional engineers.

 

JACKSON: Okay.  I understand.

 

PALMER:  Part of the problem with this is the purchasing itself Linda has a very difficult time when a bid goes out or an RFP goes out that’s not clearly defined as to what’s needed and then what happens is the vendors call her directly and say, okay what is it that you want and she does not have those answers and then when she doesn’t have the answers the responses that we get back are often very high because they are not sure exactly what it is we’re looking for. So the intent here is to get it exact, right define right to the T exactly what it is we’re looking for and that hope will eliminate this high bid stuff that’s going on as well as being able to assure the bidders that what they are looking at everybody is looking at the same thing.

 

JACKSON:  Thank you.

 

MANNING: So it’s not really project management?

 

JAQUISH: They designed it and they are going to oversee it.

 

PALMER: Right they are going to be responsible once we do an award they are going to be responsible that the vendor does what it is that’s required.

 

MANNING: So they are also going to be a project manager?

 

PALMER: Right.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: Dan can we get a financial summary of where we are with that?

 

PALMER:  On the whole radio project?  Yeah, when Linda gets back she’s on vacation right now but she’ll be back later this week.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: Thank you.

 

GILLILLAND:  Further discussion?  If none, all in favor, opposed – carries.

 

17.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A MAINTENANCE CONTRACT WITH WELLS COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE INSTALLATION OF RADIOS AND ANTENNAS AT BELFRY AND WELLS HILLS IN THE AMOUNT OF $28,952.00.  DeLoria, Marnell

 

RESOLUTIONS RECOMMENDED BY THE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

Chairman – N. Merrihew    Vice-Chairman – R. Politi    

Monday, March 12, 2018

 

18.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE COMMUNITY RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $31,327.62, DEC RECYCLING PROGRAM.   Giordano, Politi

 

19.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE COMMUNITY RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $948,388.69, NYSERDA CLEANER GREENER PROJECT.   Wilson, Tyler

 

20.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE COMMUNITY RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $146,946.49, NEW YORK STATE DOS LOCAL WATERFRONT GRANT.   Harrington, Marnell

 

21.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE COMMUNITY RESOURCES DEPARTMENT, INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $12,786.00, NATIONAL HERITAGE TRUST/DEC, 5 TOWNS ONE GOAL PROJECT.    Moore, McNally

 

22.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COMMUNITY RESOURCES DEPARTMENT TO APPLY FOR AND ACCEPT THE NEW YORK STATE DEC SEPTIC SYSTEM REPLACEMENT GRANT PROGRAM WITH UP TO A MAXIMUM AGGREGATE OF $150,000.00   Gillilland, Harrington

 

RESOLUTIONS RECOMMENDED BY THE DPW COMMITTEE

Chairman – G. Morrow     Vice–Chairman – J. Monty

Monday, March 19, 2018

 

23.  RESOLUTION OF CONDOLENCE TO THE FAMILY OF GLADYS FAYE (MUNSON) DOUGAN.  Morrow, unanimous

 

24.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO PURCHASE A 2018 EAGER BEAVER 50 TON LOW-BOY STYLE TRAILER IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS, FROM ROBERT H. FINKE AND SONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $57,993.00, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM THE EQUIPMENT BOND.   Depo, Tyler

 

25.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE ISSUANCE OF A PERMIT ALLOWING THE USE OF COUNTY ROADWAYS FOR THE WILMINGTON WHITEFACE WHISKEY 10K RUN/RACE HELD ON SATURDAY, JUNE 16, 2018.  Monty, Tyler

 

26.  RESOLUTION IN OPPOSITION OF NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSERVATION’S DECISION TO DENY REIMBURSEMENT TO ESSEX COUNTY FOR HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DAYS.   Politi, unanimous

 

27.  RESOLUTION ENDORSING THE SWING BRIDGE REHABILITATION PROJECT LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF CHESTERFIELD, AND GIVES PERMISSION TO THE RENSSELAER POLYTECNIC INSTITUTE (RPI) FACULTY AND STUDENTS TO UNDERTAKE THIS PROJECT.  Morrow, Monty

 

28.  RESOLUTION IN RECOGNITION AND APPRECIATION TO MOUNTAIN LAKE SERVICES OF ESSEX COUNTY AND PROCLAIMING MARCH AS NATIONAL DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES MONTH.  Monty, unanimous

 

RESOLUTIONS RECOMMENDED BY THE PERSONNEL COMMITTEE

Chairman – R. Moore     Vice-Chairman – I. Tyler

Monday, March 19, 2018

 

29.  RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO ACCEPT THE SUM OF $84,386.80 FROM THE ESTATE OF ANITRA CHRISTOFFEL-PELL AS AND FOR SATISFACTION OF THE BEQUEST CONTAINED IN HER LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT AND TO EXECUTE A RECEIPT AND RELEASE ANY AND ALL OTHER DOCUMENTS NECESSARY TO ACCEPT AND ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF SAID FUNDS.   Moore, Merrihew

 

PALMER: Dan I wasn’t sure, was this Mental Health?

 

MANNING: Yes.  This is just a bequest that was made whoever drafted the will it wasn’t artfully drafted so it had to go to court for what’s called a side plate proceeding which is to try and deter the intent of which way it needs to go and so the Judge ordered and determined the money should go to Essex County Mental Health for obesity and smoking and other related things. They tried to short change us about ten grand and I caught it and we got an extra ten grand because they tried to categorize ten grand and the money we were supposed to get of their expenses as related to our property but it was really administrative expenses so the $84,386 is what we deserve.

 

GILLILLAND:  Further discussion?  Being none, all in favor, opposed – carries.

 

FINANCE/TAX REDUCTION/MANDATE RELIEF COMMITTEE

Chairman – T. Scozzafava     Vice-Chairman – R. Politi

Monday, March 19, 2018

 

30.  RESOLUTION DESIGNATING APRIL 2018 AS DONATING LIFE MONTH.   Tyler, unanimous

 

31.  RESOLUTION DECLARING AS SURPLUS A 1986 GMC TRUCK IN THE FISHERIES DEPARTMENT AND SELLING IT TO THE TOWN OF MORIAH FOR $1.00.  Morrow, Scozzafava – as amended.

 

MORROW:  That’s not what the resolution was supposed to be. The resolution was to declare it surplus and sell it to the Town of Moriah for $500.00, that’s what the resolution was passed but I’d like to move an amendment to that resolution that was originally moved here.  I’d like to move an amendment to that resolution, instead of the $500.00 because I listened to our County Manager and I talked to him after the meeting that this person that works in Moriah comes up here a lot and donates their time Moriah doesn’t charge us for it so instead of $500.00 I’d like to move an amendment and sell it to them for a $1.00, to make it legal for a $1.00.

 

GILLILLAND: We have a motion and a second for an amendment to the resolution. Discussion on the amendment? Being none, all in favor of the amendment?  Now voting on the motion as amended all in favor, opposed – carries.

 

 

32.  RESOLUTION OF CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY OF MICHAEL ALLEN.  Scozzafava, unanimous

 

GILLILLAND:  Any further motions or discussion to come from the floor?

 

HARRINGTON:  Yes, I have a resolution authorizing the Essex County Sheriff’s Department to enforce traffic control in the Town of Crown Point for Memorial Day weekend parade and activities on May 26-28, 2018.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE ESSEX COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT TO ENFORCE TRAFFIC CONTROL IN THE TOWN OF CROWN POINT FOR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND PARADE AND ACTIVITIES ON MAY 26-28, 2018.  Harrington, Scozzafava

 

GILLILLAND: Any further motions or discussion from the floor? 

 

MANNING: As you recall we had two pieces of property we took at tax sale by previous resolution we conveyed one of them a small .2 acre parcel to North Country Community College for their purposes adjacent to that is another .3 acre parcel upon which is an old AM radio tower that parcel we asked that it be appraised and be bid out for sale. We put out the bids for sale. The first resolution I’d like to ask is I’d like to ask for the waiver of that appraisal it’s going to cost more money to appraise it than really the property is worth. The bids that will come in will determine the fair market value of the property anyway so I might have gotten a little over technical and I asked that the board resolve and not go out for appraisals.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A WAIVER OF THE APPRAISAL ON A .3 ACRE PARCEL LOCATED IN SARANAC LAKE, NEW YORK BEARING TAX MAP NO. 32.247-4-3.000

Moved by Mr. Scozzafava, seconded by Mr. Giordano

 

GILLILLAND: Discussion?  Being none, all in favor, opposed – carries.

 

MANNING: The second resolution also relates to this particular piece of property with the AM tower situate. This tower serviced the, there was an AM radio station I think they broadcasted out of Saranac Lake, it may have broadcast of out Lake Placid at one time that station, the President of that station John Becker has contacted the county and has asked, he will be bidding on the property so this is not anything that will prejustice future bidders or give him a leg up in any respect.  He currently has a frequency license that will expire in June if it is not used and the only way to use it is to hook up to the existing tower right now there’s a transformer that they use, this will allow him to preserve his license and that license for anybody else that may be able to get it to transmit AM radio in the area and especially from Saranac Lake so what he would like to do is be able to get access to the property just to turn it on so that he can preserve his license. This again, isn’t going to give him a leg up he recognizes he has to bid on the property just like everyone else but it would be a shame to lose that license because of his inability to flip the switch.

 

POLITI:  With the appropriate insurance.

 

MANNING: Yes.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING JOHN BECKER TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE AM RADIO STATION TOWER LOCATED ON COUNTY OWNED PROPERTY LOCATED IN SARANAC LAKE, NEW YORK BEARING TAX MAP NO. 32.247-4-3.000, WHICH WILL ALLOW HIM TO PRESERVE HIS FREQUENCY LICENSE.

Moved by Mr. Politi, seconded by Mr. Wilson.

 

GILLILLAND:  Discussion?

 

SCOZZAFAVA: This individual owns the property right now?

 

MANNING:  No he owns the radio station in Saranac Lake.

 

PALMER:  He owns the frequency.  If you don’t use the frequency you lose it.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: Okay, thank you.

 

MANNING:  Thank you.

 

GILLILLAND:  Further discussion? Being none, all in favor opposed – carries.

 

MANNING: I will draw up a small agreement that has all that in it. That’s all I have. Thank you.

 

GILLILLAND: Anything further to come before this committee? Being none, we are adjourned.

 

            As there was no further discussion to come before this ways and means committee it was adjourned at 10:35 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Judy Garrison, Clerk

Board of Supervisors