DPW - COMMITTEE

Tuesday, February 22, 2022 - 9:30 AM

 

 

 

Robin DeLoria, Chairperson

Clayton Barber, Vice-Chairperson

 

Chairman DeLoria called this DPW Meeting to order at 9:30 am with the following Supervisors in attendance: Clayton Barber, Robin DeLoria, Stephanie DeZalia, Derek Doty, Shaun Gillilland, Charlie Harrington, Roy Holzer, Ken Hughes, Steve McNally, Noel Merrihew, James Monty, Tom Scozzafava, Matt Stanley, Ike Tyler, Joe Pete Wilson, Margaret Wood and Mark Wright.Davina Winemiller was excused.

 

Department Heads present: Jim Dougan, Judy Garrison and Dan Palmer.

 

Also present: Alice Halloran, Paige Lamb and Holly Aquino.

 

News Media:Sun News Ė Tim Rowland.

 

 

DELORIA:Okay letís call this DPW meeting to order and stand for the pledge please.Mr. Dougan would you approach the bench.

 

DOUGAN:Good morning.Where would you like me to start?

 

DELORIA:Anywhere you would like.

 

DOUGAN:Okay if I could start with resolutions then.I have three resolutions.I thought maybe I should explain to the new board members what this contract is just so they understand it although most of you have heard this before. We have a contract for general, civil site work construction that we put out to bid. It gives us labor rates for local site work contractor that we use to pay them hourly to help us do projects and then it has equipment rates that are scheduled off of New York State DOT so what this does it allows us to do small projects where a contractor with bigger equipment than we have, will come in and do some work and then we supplement that for providing trucking and we provide the materials and we donít have a markup on those kinds of things so rather than taking those small projects, having to hire an engineer, put this all down on paper and then put it out to bid we are able to do kind of small things cost effectively so all three resolutions that I have are projects that weíre planning to do that way.

The first one, Iím looking for a resolution authorizing contract amendment with Reale Construction in the amount not to exceed $33,428.22, this is for labor and equipment to reconstruction a section of Walker Road in the Town of Essex. This would come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the county chair or county manager to execute that contract amendment.The location that weíre doing the work is about a half mile from Sayre Road.Itís 1250 feet long, itís going to be 18Ē of new gravel, binder and new asphalt top with geotech style fabric underneath. So the county workers are going to do the asphalt work, are going to provide the item for gravel and the fabric and provide all the trucking for this and the contractor is going to supplement our work force by excavating and placing that fabric and gravel.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH REALE CONSTRUCTION IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $33,428.22, FOR LABOR AND EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR LIMITED ROAD RECONSTRUCTION OF A SECTION OF COUNTY ROUTE 55, WALKER ROAD LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF ESSEX, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.DeZalia, Harrington

 

DELORIA:Any discussion?All in favor aye, okay carried.

 

DOUGAN:Number two, same kind of process this one is in the Town of Willsboro.Itís at the intersection of Point Road and Farrell Road.It would be authorizing a contract amendment with Reale Construction in the amount not to exceed $16,791.92, funds to come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the County Manager or County Chair to sign that contract amendment.This is the whole intersection. The intersection is failing there so weíre going to remove the asphalt, excavate down 18Ē get the core subsoils, core subbase out, install fabric and item 4 gravel then repave it.

 

GILLILLAND:Which intersection?There are two.

 

DOUGAN:Right on Point Road.

 

GILLILLAND: I know but thereís two, thereís one where Point goes off of Farrell and thereís one where Point crosses the T of Farrell.

 

DOUGAN:Itís the T intersection.

 

GILLILLAND:Okay, thank you.

 

DOUGAN:Yes, itís the T intersection.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH REALE CONSTRUCTION IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $16,791.92, FOR LABOR AND EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR LIMITED ROAD RECONSTRUCTION OF A SECTION OF COUNTY ROUTE 27, POINT ROAD LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF WILLSBORO, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Barber. Holzer

 

DELORIA:Any discussion, questions from the committee?All in favor, any opposed - carried.

 

DOUGAN:And the third request, is again the same process, contract amendment with Reale Construction, amount not to exceed $26,932.16.This is Sunset Drive, County Route 68.Itís half way between the firehouse, Reber Firehouse and Mountain View and itís about 800 feet long and again weíre going to put down 18Ē of new item 4 gravel, new asphalt, binder and top and fabric.Itís coming from budgeted funds and authorizing the County Chair or County Manager to sign.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH REALE CONSTRUCTION IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $26,932.16, FOR LABOR AND EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR LIMITED ROAD RECONSTRUCTION OF A SECTION OF COUNTY ROUTE 68, SUNSET DRIVE LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF WILLSBORO, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Wood, Scozzafava

 

DELORIA:Any discussion, questions from the committee?All in favor, any opposed - carried.

 

DOUGAN:Thatís all I have for resolutions.

 

DELORIA:Anything else for us Jim in your list of dos.

 

DOUGAN: I donít have anything specific.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Yeah, I spoke with Noel, Jim I think I mentioned it to you also.Weíve been getting requests from people that own property on Lincoln Pond, on the county road way from the bottom of the hill to the campsite for the solar speed signs.I guess speeding through there is a real issue, there is a lot of camps through that area and I didnít know if that would be possible?

 

DOUGAN:Itís not something that weíve specifically done in the past. There are a number of towns that have done it and put some on county roads.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Weíve done it. We used to get it through Ė

 

DOUGAN:You had a grant.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Traffic Safety is that still Dan?

 

PALMER:I donít know Tom.I honestly donít.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Mike here?

 

DOUGAN: I can look into Tom and see if we can do something with that.

 

DELORIA:Jimmy, on town roads I know if there is a minimum speed limit that the State by statue allows us to go and itís 30 and if you go below that itís like an act of congress to get them to permit you to reduce it lower than that.I donít know about county roads but thatís true with town roads, 30 is the low limit.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:DOT, on a town road and I believe on a county also they determine, believe me, weíre going through it right now.

 

DELORIA:We did this years ago in Newcomb and we reduced the speed limit on one of our roads to 20 from 30 and the State of New York made us take the signs down and put the other ones back up.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:They have 30 in Grover Hills.

 

DELORIA:Do you have anything lower than that?Do you have anything in the 20ís?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:We requested three times and itís like driving in Bristol, going 30 mph through there.

 

DELORIA: So, county roads I donít know how that would play out?

 

DOUGAN:New York State DOT regulates the speed limit on town and county roads.If a town wants to make a change on a town road I have a form that I can send to you many of you have seen it, you take it through your board, you get a board resolution requesting it.It comes to me, I review it, I sign it, I send it off to DOT.What youíre talking about right now Tom is Grover Hills, you know we sent that in about seven months ago, the most recent request for Grover Hills got one in Westport going on right now.

 

TYLER:We got turned down on that.We got notification last week, we got turned down.

 

DOUGAN: Did you really?Okay.They havenít sent it to me yet.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: There was legislation at one time when Betty was, to allow towns to set their own speed limits but it never went anywhere now the Village of Port Henry, the oddity of this, cities and villages can set their own speed limits even if itís on a DOT road.

 

DELORIA:Thatís because that legislation made sense, thatís why it was voted down, thatís correct.

 

MERRIHEW:Just on that, we understand it really isnít a speed limit issue itís the proximity where they are coming from, they are burning their brakes out coming down from Moriah they let it go right at the most populous area so even if we could just get a temporary sign for July, August something like that where we have the high population?Itís just more of a safety issue so that people take notice of the issue at the bottom of the hill.

 

DOUGAN:A high traffic area?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Itís not only people from Moriah seeing the Town of Moriah pays the bulk of the property tax out there because Elizabethtown puts it right to them, but other than that we are looking for a reduce speed limit.

 

MONTY:Now that the prison is closed Tom there will be less traffic coming down the hill.

 

DELORIA:Okay, Jimmy anything else?

 

DOUGAN:Thatís really all I had.

 

DELORIA:Alice, do you have anything for us today?

 

DOUGAN:Thank you.

 

DELORIA:Thanks Jim.

 

HALLORAN:Good morning.I just wanted to introduce our new technician, Paige Lamb.So youíll be probably meeting her at some point and also Farmland Protection Board, our previous representative is no longer on our board so our board appointed Mike Davis so I guess weíre supposed to bring it up to you.

 

TYLER:We need somebody on the committee to offer that resolution.

 

MONTY:That we support Mike Davis on the Farmland Protection Board.

 

DELORIA:Yeah, from this committee here?

 

TYLER:Yes.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE APPOINTMENT OF MIKE DAVIS TO SERVE ON THE FARMLAND PROTECTION BOARD FOR AN UNEXPIRED TERM.DeZalia, Harrington

 

DELORIA: All in favor of that appointment aye, any opposed Ė carried.

 

MONTY:Why donít you give the board a brief biography on Mike because not everybody might know Mike.

 

HALLORAN:Okay, he works for Cornell Cooperative Extension, the farm, the Baker Farm in Willsboro.I think he also teaches at Minor Institute?

 

MONTY:Yes.

 

GILLILLAND:He works at Cornell University.

 

HALLORAN:What did I say?Cooperative Extension?Youíre right, Cornell University at the Farm so he has a lot of farming experience to bring to our board that will help and anything else about him?

 

MONTY:No, I think that heís going to be a great addition to the Soil and Water group as well as our Farmland Protection Board because he is definitely vested in farming in Essex County.

 

HALLORAN:Right and he has his own small farm he runs as well and thatís it.

 

HARRINGTON:Is there any funding in regards to salt sheds?

 

HALLORAN:I donít know.I think most of them that I know of have been funded through the CFA rounds so I would talk to Anna about that.I had mentioned to her that Crown Point needed funds.Anything else?

 

DELORIA:Roy, from fairgrounds, did you have any comments?

 

HOLZER:Not at this point.Thank you.

 

DELORIA:Okay if thereís nothing further to come before this committee?

 

MONTY:I want to remind the board too that the annual tree sale through Soil & Water is on right now and I believe it ends March 3 is it, that orders have to be in by Alice?

 

HALLORAN:I donít know the date.

 

DELORIA:But itís not today?

 

HALLORAN:Itís not today.

 

GILLILLAND: I just wanted to bring up in talking with Stephanie and JoePete the transportation side of it, the shuttles.We are going to hopefully at some point here have the opening round of discussions with the State starting up the shuttle again.We have a question right now; I think weíve got the answer to it but not sure about funding on it I think we are going to be operating on last yearís funding if it didnít get spent.We have four buses as you know.We have two wrapped yet or the second one to be wrapped?

 

DOUGAN:We have two wrapped and two unwrapped.

 

GILLILLAND:So, going into discussions with DEC, the State about the routes and stuff I just wanted to bring everybody up to speed weíve been having, which way are we going to go?Are we going to have the same limited route going forward that just barely got above you know, the empty line I guess last year just when the season ended, it just barely got going.Weíve had discussions particularly with Stephanie in North Hudson and the Adirondack Gateway project down there about trying to add a route from North Hudson up to the High Peaks and back as a start and a much longer term of trying to put them up to some of the southern trails and stuff going up to Newcomb, Minerva that area.Thereís going to be a hiring problem this year as everybody probably knows.JoePete is still having problems in Keene I think with drivers and stewards and things but Iím just trying to get a sense of the board which way we should be pursuing, pushing DEC I donít know if it will work but trying to help us open up the routes to North Hudson.There will be a lot of work down there was Stephanieís point of view in getting a steward down there at Moeís.Moeís business down there partnering with us to help promote that route.It is a long run from North Hudson up to Keene but if weíre going to pull people off the interstate there as a hub and offering that amenity it might be a good idea.I think Jim talked about in an email if you donít mind me quoting you Jim about us opening up a route you know going all the way through to Mtn. Van Hoevenberg or something and coming up with some sort of a schedule.This is all funded through DEC.Weíve had to hire; it would be a heavier lift this year but probably worth it.JoePete or Stephanie, thoughts?

 

DEZALIA: Well, I think that it makes sense to think a little bit out of the box right now being what happened last year but also weíve been saying we wanted to get more people down at the southern high peaks.Even if itís a route that doesnít always go up 73, thereís a group that want to go up toward Newcomb or the southern end.I think if we have the right scheduling I think we could start routing some people to the other side and I know Moe is looking forward to getting them on board and weíre trying to get the steward off the Northway and down to Moeís which makes sense too DEC sounds like thatís a possibility.

 

DELORIA:If that program does come into play, ROOST would certainly participate in that marketing effort of that?

 

DEZALIA:Iím sure, yes.

 

McNALLY:We have some private investment down there with Moeís and also the Brewery in North Hudson.The county owns a great piece of property down there, itís under used currently we have a parking area, thereís Elk Lake Trail Head and Boreas Ponds if we ever open that and then we have the upper works so we dohave trails that are good in that southern end that I think weíre going to have to pressure to get the bus down there to get those trails being used but we do have a lot of private investment down there and Iíd like to see some busing out of that parking area where we have down in North Hudson.

 

GILLILLAND:So if we pursue that with DEC in our discussions then I get the sense of the board we want to move ahead with that vision sooner than later.

 

McNALLY: I also like to see the county may be possible to make an investment in that property down in North Hudson even if itís bathroom facilities or a pavilion or something because thereís a lot of traffic there.

 

GILLILLAND:We are working toward that with grants, weíre partnering with North Hudson. They have a horse facility grant, Jimís men have been down there, his people have been down there this winter doing some clearing of the facilities, the old facilities there Frontier Town to try and save them and try to move forward with the planning grant and we are already working with the architects on coming up with a facility there on the county property that essentially going, with the equestrian theme ofholding a pavilion, a grand stand, and event arena there multi-use forhorses, rodeos things like that but also with the vision will be to also do concerts and things like that so this will be a southern end of the county facility trying to draw in, tie in with the equestrian campground there. The thing is our property, the county property is right there, in the center of that wheel so youíve got on one side youíve got the campground, youíve got Moeís and youíve got the brewery and so to tie it altogether to go to the next step you know, Stephanie and I briefed the board several months ago, moving forward with that basically bootstrapping the county to our own property here and moving forward with it.I think at this point, we are way ahead of the State on the whole vision and going in and actually having a little money behind it.

 

DELORIA:Right and this is all tied into the Frontier Town Gateway project that even Governor Cuomo supported so it certainly Ė

 

McNALLY:The good news about this is we already have the private investment being made there we also have the State who stepped up and built that equestrian campground so we have something that is marketable there.We just need to pay a little more attention to.

 

DELORIA:Yup, the vision is there.

 

DEZALIA:And I think if we tie in that center property will lead to future, private investment again up on the Route 9 corridor thatís also the county property.I think it will attract more development there too.

 

DELORIA:Right, lodging and things of that nature perhaps, yes.Does anybody on the board have any comments on the contrary on moving forward on this whole concept?

 

HARRINGTON:Is the name Frontier Town sacred or can you change that to maybe Ghost Town then you wouldnít have to put so much money into it?

 

DELORIA:Duly noted.

 

GILLILLAND:Noted for the record.

 

DELORIA:Anything else to come before this committee?We stand adjourned.

 

 

††††††††††† As there was no further discussion to come before this DPW committee it was adjourned at 9:53 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Judith Garrison, Clerk

Board of Supervisors