DPW - COMMITTEE

Wednesday, March 23, 2022 - 9:30 AM

 

 

 

Robin DeLoria, Chairperson

Clayton Barber, Vice-Chairperson

 

Chairman DeLoria called this DPW Meeting to order at 9:30 am with the following Supervisors in attendance: Clayton Barber, Robin DeLoria, Stephanie DeZalia, Shaun Gillilland, Ken Hughes, Steve McNally, Noel Merrihew, James Monty, Matt Stanley, Ike Tyler, Joe Pete Wilson, Margaret Wood and Mark Wright.Charlie Harrington, Roy Holzer, Tom Scozzafava and Davina Winemiller was excused.Derek Doty was absent.

 

Department Heads present: Jim Dougan, Judy Garrison and Dan Palmer.

 

Also present: Alice Halloran.

 

News Media:Sun News Ė Tim Rowland.

 

 

DELORIA:Letís call this DPW meeting to order, letís stand for the pledge please.Okay, good morning everyone.

 

DOUGAN:Good morning everyone.Do you want to start with resolutions Mr. Chair?

 

DELORIA:Sure.

 

DOUGAN:So my first two are resolutions requesting to carry over some money for a couple projects that are ongoing.The first one is regarding the Fish Hatchery.We received a Norther Borders Grant.Itís going to help us with some water system improvements specifically weíre just about to put out to bid a project that will slip by all of the channels that are underneath what we call the new building that has the fish troughs.We lose 50-100 gallons of water a minute out of that because those channels are starting to fail so weíre always struggling to keep water so that will be the first project so Iíd like to carry over those funds from 2021ís budget into 2022 so, the amount is $132,816.50 and those are my revenue and expenditure account codes down below.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS FISH HATCHERY INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $132,816.50, CARRY OVER 2021 NORTHERN BORDERS GRANT.DeZalia, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any questions?All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:The second one is regarding the LED light upgrades that weíve been working on for the past four years.In 2016, we had a detailed energy audit done by a company by the name of Danforth and in their report they said that we could eventually if we replaced all of the light fixtures that we have with LED light fixtures that we would save energy costs at that time of about $55,000 a year in electrical charges so that happened to be the year that right after gas prices went way up they went down again so there was little bit of money left in our budget that year so the Green Committee that year said, why donít you take that left over gas prices for fuel and oil that was in your budget, set it aside and weíll start replacing the LED light fixtures so weíve done about 2/3 of the overall almost 5,000 light fixtures that the buildings here around the main complex and Public Safety Building have and so I just want to continue that project forward so thereís $52,403.63, remaining that Iíd like to carry forward.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $52,403.63, CARRY OVER 2021 UPGRADE LIGHT FIXTURES TO LED.Wood, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any questions? All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.Jimmy, Newcomb naturally has its own street lighting district, does the county have anything like that or just the towns do?

 

PALMER: Just the towns.

 

DELORIA:Have some of the other towns converted their street light to the LED?

 

TYLER:We have.

 

DELORIA:Did you notice a considerable savings?

 

TYLER:No.

 

DELORIA:You didnít?

 

TYLER:No because when I called and complained about it, actually we didnít save hardly anything they said, well, the price of electricity went up.

 

DELORIA:Well, that could be but I can tell you this in Newcomb because not only did we leased these lights from NYSEG at $7.20 a piece Ė

 

TYLER:Weíre with National Grid so maybe that why.

 

DELORIA:Whatever it could be but we were through NYSEG literally we saved, $15,000 a year, we have 189 street lights in town and we converted to the LED.

 

TYLER:Well, I will switch with you.

 

DELORIA:Just come on down, Iíll buy you dinner at the lodge.

 

MONTY:We even went through the NYSEG program where they have an incentive to do it so we saved additional monies, not only on our street lights but through that incentive and they picked up a portion of the costs.

 

TYLER: National Grid did the same thing they gave us, we spent $10,000, they gave us $9,000 but we had a big increase in our bill.Our bill for street lighting was like $19,000 a year and like $18,000 something this year.

 

DELORIA:Yes, it was ridiculous but again, we have 189 street lights in the town that is three miles long.We cut down on the ambient light too by the way you can actually, oh, there are stars up there in the heavens.

 

MONTY: One-hundred and eighty-nine lights, three miles?

 

DELORIA:Hey, listen, I did the audit I counted them myself.

 

MONTY:Do people in Newcomb have to run their lights in their homes at night?(laughter)

 

DELORIA: No, that why we have them.Porch lights are optional.Okay all in favor or resolution #2, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:Number three is authorizing the purchasing agent to award a purchase order to Adirondack Auto in the amount of $82,000 for two, pickup trucks.One of those pickup trucks is in this yearís budget, one was last yearís budget.It was bid and it was bid with fleet pricing and then with the shutdown Dodge pulled all those so even the prices that youíre seeing right now arenítí really fleet pricing.Dan can probably describe that even better than I can and how itís effecting all the departments in the county so, we had budgeted $35,000 for each of these two vehicles so it is over budget. I will have to, I have another piece of equipment on order throughout the year right now I prioritize things so we, Dan and I will work together and see how we deal with my lowest priority vehicle towards the end of the year.So, thatís the first one and the next two resolutions are kind of the same situation.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A PURCHASE ORDER TO ADIRONDACK AUTO IN THE AMOUNT OF $82,000.00, FOR TWO (2) NEW AND UNUSED 2022 RAM 1500 4X4 CREW CAB PICK UP TRUCKS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAID PURCHASE ORDER.DeZalia, Wood

 

DELORIA:Any questions?All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:Number two is again we will be authorizing the Purchasing Agent to award a purchase order.This time it will be to AirFlo Manufacturing.Itís in the amount of $22,029.00, that a new 18í dump box with a complete tarp system for one of our existing tandem trucks.That price is a little high.The last time we bought a new dump box this size was about three years ago and it was closer to $15,000 so itís not way out of whack but again, itís from budgeted funds.This one luckily is four to six weeks is when they are scheduled to get it to us.

 

DELORIA:You guys are going to put it on?Is says here.

 

DOUGAN:Yes, that is correct we are going to install.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A PURCHASE ORDER TO AIRFLO MANUFACTURING IN THE AMOUNT OF $22,029.00, FOR A NEW AND UNUSED 18í STEEL DUMP BODY IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAID PURCHASE ORDER.Wright, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any questions?All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN: Number five is regarding our solid waste division.This is one of those big walking floor trailers, 48í foot long that we haul all the solid waste in. this would be authorizing the Purchasing Agent to award a purchase order to MAC Trailer in the amount of $128,875, notice the delivery, 400-450 days.These have always taken a while they have been more like six months to nine months so a little over a year is a long time.Last year we bought one, it was $100,000, I put in the budget for this year $105,000 and you see that this is the price that it come in at but this is that aging equipment at solid waste I basically have to replace one of these trailers a year to keep up with it and Iím expected twenty of them to last, each one of them to basically last twenty years before I fully replace it again.

 

DELORIA:Thatís not so bad.Do they make them to order?

 

DOUGAN:Yes, they do kind of make them to order. They are all aluminum.They also fit our compactors.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A PURCHASE ORDER TO MAC TRAILER MANUFACTURING IN THE AMOUNT OF $128,875.00, FOR A NEW AND UNUSED 2023 WALKING FLOOR SOLID WASTE TRAILER IN THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAID PURCHASE ORDER.Wright, Wood

 

DELORIA:Any questions?All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:Number six and number seven are both New York State DOT getting a little picky on something theyíve done for years.Number six is regarding Water Street Bridge here in Elizabethtown.Earlier this year we did a resolution for a supplemental agreement bringing in additional funding from both the State and the Feds for that project, when we submit the resolutions for you to review it is always New York Stateís language that we use for years weíve used the same language and itís never included the County Manager as somebody who has executed to sign things but yet, weíve always had the County Manager sign things so this document fully signed, executed and down to DOT and they came back and said, this guy doesnít have authority to sign it.

 

DELORIA:Who does?

 

DOUGAN:I do.It says I have resolution to sign it and the Chairman has resolution to sign it but I donít have resolution to sign contracts from the board in general thatís more about me signing pay applications so this resolution would basically amend resolution #27 of 2022, allowing Mr. Palmer to sign it that way the paperwork DOT already has Ė

 

DELORIA: Just Dan or Dan, you and/or Shaun?

 

PALMER:Itís just really Shaun and I, the Chairman of the Board of County Manager.

 

DOUGAN:But it still leaves me the ability to sign off on pay applications that we submit for reimbursement.

 

RESOLUTION AMENDING RESOLUTION #27, OF 2/7/22, FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION AND FUNDING IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, 100% OF THE FEDERAL-AID AND STATE ďMARCHISELLIĒ PROGRAM-AID ELIGIBLE COSTS, OF A TRANSPORTATION FEDERAL-AID PROJECT AND APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFORE TO INCLUDE AUTHORITY FOR THE COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE ANY AND ALL NECESSARY AGREEMENTS, CERTIFICATIONS OR REIMBURSEMENT REQUESTS.Wood, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any questions?All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:And number seven is the same thing for the Tahawus Road Bridge over Sanford Lake down in Newcomb.That was the master agreement that was actually done in 2021, we were inquiring why we havenít seen any reimbursement yet and thatís when they told us well, your document isnít signed properly so this may all have been about holding onto money and not sending it to us, Iím not sure but this is the same thing.It would be amending resolution #48 of 2021 to allow Mr. Palmer to sign things that way we donít have to go through the process of getting those documents back or sending new ones in.

 

RESOLUTION AMENDING RESOLUTION #48, OF 3/1/21, FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION AND FUNDING IN THE FIRST INSTANCE, 100% OF THE FEDERAL-AID AND STATE ďMARCHISELLIĒ PROGRAM-AID ELIGIBLE COSTS, OF A TRANSPORTATION FEDERAL-AID PROJECT AND APPROPRIATING FUNDS THEREFORE TO INCLUDE AUTHORITY FOR THE COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE ANY AND ALL NECESSARY AGREEMENTS, CERTIFICATIONS OR REIMBURSEMENT REQUESTS.DeLoria, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any questions?

 

PALMER:Just so you understand that they are taking that position, itís not correct.The county has a local law for the county manager which authorizes me to sign all documents on behalf of the county so you know, you certainly could argue with them, the problem is you have to send the whole contract back, get it redone and start over.

 

DELORIA:Fix it forward.All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:And the last resolution that I have for today is from our solid waste meeting that we had on Monday, we went through the draft RFP request for proposal for consultants perhaps youíll recall, we received a grant in the amount of $20,000 and we had to come up with a match of $20,000 that was budgeted to hire a consultant to help us look at the efficiency and the upcoming regulations such as food waste recycling that are going to be needed as part of solid waste and come up with at least three different options to do that.Our ultimate goal is once we receive this report is to apply for a municipal restructuring grant that would hopefully pay for any infrastructure type things that we would have to do to move that forward.

 

DELORIA:On a countywide basis for all the towns?

 

DOUGAN:Yes, the whole system.

 

DELORIA:Interesting.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO REQUEST QUALIFICATIONS/PROPOSALS FROM CONSULTANTS TO PREPARE A REPORT FOR THE SOLID WASTE SYSTEM PER REQUIREMENTS OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT EFFICIENCY GRANT.DeZalia, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any other questions?All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:Thatís all I have for resolutions.I would just point out a couple things on the monthly report, unless anybody has any questions?Weíre probably 30-35 days away from starting paving so that will us and for most of the towns weíll pay for you so the sooner you contact us the better. Iím expecting pavement prices to just get higher and higher and higher as we go through the year so the first people to get me your information Ė

 

TYLER:We donít have any prices yet though.

 

DOUGAN:Bids are due this afternoon.Our annual bids are due this afternoon.

 

TYLER:I had talked to my DPW and they donít know where we are with prices.

 

DOUGAN: Bids are due this afternoon; itís got an escalation clause in it.those bids are going to be for asphalt, gravel, sand, guiderail, parts, sign materials, pavement, line stripping all those things.Weíll get those out.Iíll make sure you guys have a copy of it but weíll also get those out to your town highway supers.

 

HUGHES:Jim, Iím not on this committee but I have a question please feel free to speculate.If a compactor went down in any of our communities and thereís no redundancy in that community what would you anticipate the turnaround time?Letís say is was done, end of life what would you expect the turnaround time for a compactor to be for that community?

 

DOUGAN:The last couple of compactors that we bought were about six months out for a whole new compactor.We do have one in this yearís plan.Those specs are almost done to award even though we donít have any that are planned to be pulled out of service right now.For your station one of the things that you guys use is that ejection container which those are in historical worse shape than the actual compactor youíre using. We have two new ones that just showed up. We have been going to the extra added step of undercoating those before we send them out because itís usually the bottom of those that rot out partly because of the solid waste juices and the salt and so weíre doing that extra step to hopefully make them last a little bit longer so itís about six months.Iíve added a lot of information to your question Iím sorry but we do have a compactor in this yearís plan for replacement equipment.

 

HUGHES:Thank you very much.

 

MONTY:Jim, I was asked by my Highway Superintendent today is the County Highways Superintendentís Association going to start plan on meeting again?Itís been quite a while since theyíve been.

 

DOUGAN:Yes, itís actually on my list to give Travis Crowningshield a call.Travis is the President of the Local Association and see if heís at the point where weíre comfortable with that.Now would be the time, usually itís one of our busiest meetings is when we do have all of these annual bids in to start talking about the cost of things and plan our own work together so itís on my list, I havenít called Travis yet.

 

MONTY:Thank you.

 

GILLILLAND:A couple things, one, the $997,000 came through on the Omnibus bill for the Cornell building so we have to figure out, well first get the money from the Feds and secondly on how weíre going to move forward with that.We had a meeting with some representatives from Westport on the building issue and they are probably going to come back with a revised or an updated estimate on the plan for redoing that building.I did tell them in that meeting that basically that we want to have a building that meets the requirements the county has and the requirements of CCE and the other tenants of that building and public meeting rooms, updated commercial kitchen those kind of issues and you know, weíll do an apple to apples comparison so I will also ask Jim to update the rebuild on the building and replacement of the estimate as well.

The second thing too on a Federal issue Iíve received emails from Schumer and Gillibrandís office and last night from Stefanikís office they are starting to build the 2023 Omnibus bill and so they are going out asking for earmarks now.I did talk to Clayton and Jim and one thing we may go forward with if this board wants to, would be to go and see if we can earmark for Chesterfieldís bridge so any other Federal earmarks you guys want to put in start thinking about it because there is a very short timeline on this to get into Community Resources as soon as possible.

 

DELORIA: April 11th is the application deadline.

 

TYLER:Yeah, Shaun I got that email and I thought the process would be Buildings and Grounds and it would go through the committee to see how we were going to approach that?

 

GILLILLAND: I agree, Iím just saying that the money is there and now it is infamous that we go forward.

 

TYLER: My theory would be to hire an architect and put down what we want and then we can get the actual numbers, you can go back and forth for years on what numbers the committee in Westport comes up with compared to, I think an engineer needs to be hired to do what we want to do with that building thatís the only way to get a real figure.

 

DELORIA:Can that funding be used for engineering purposes?

 

TYLER:We had an engineer before this it just got finished.

 

GILLILLAND: I havenít seen the report yet.

 

TYLER:From the last people that did it in 2003.

 

MONTY:Shouldnít we have an actual plan of the actual use of what itís going to be before we ask an architect to build it?

 

DELORIA:Well, I think thatís the point that Shaun made because then youíre going to have the footprint of this is what the intentions are, this is what the kitchen and the community rooms and whatnot go.

 

GILLILLAND: So we have an apple to apples comparison.

 

DOUGAN:In 2018, we requested a term contract architect to give us a proposal to build a brand new Cornell Building to match the existing one meeting all current codes and I can refresh that estimate.That doesnít necessarily answer the question what we are going to use there, thatís based upon the 2005 and 2008 report that was done by Crawford and Sterns and so we asked an architect to put those numbers together.

 

MONTY:That was for a new building Jim?

 

DOUGAN:That was for a new building with the same recommendation that that architect from 2005 and 2008 said what the building should hold.I can get that out to everyone.

 

TYLER:And again Crawford and Sterns did a new one and I think itís done now so that info should be out.

 

DELORIA:Shaun, the Gillibrand FY22, has that been let out?

 

GILLILLAND:For earmarks?

 

DELORIA:Yes, last yearís.

 

GILLILLAND: I havenít seen it.The Omnibus bill is what we got the $997,000, thatís what survived but now they are earmarking for í23.

 

DELORIA:Why I asked is we certainly applied with Stefanik and we didnít get it in Newcomb, we applied under Gillibrand through Human Resources yet, they are both offering for 2023, if we happen to find out that we didnít qualify under Gillibrand Iím not going to apply to either one of the other two for next year.

 

GILLILLAND:We want to make sure, we put the same in both because in the end when they go to reconciliation, these projects that require a match are going to survive.

 

DELORIA:Right, okay interesting.Any other questions for Jim?Anything else to add?

 

DOUGAN:A couple other things I was just going to mention, there is a picture in my report of how this sand, salt, storage shed is coming along if anybody is interested.

The Water Street bridge over here in Elizabethtown, they will probably start construction again next week and weíve got the bids out for painting the three different bridges and Transportation, we are continuing to work on the hiker shuttle. We did provide some support to the prelude to the World University Games a couple weeks ago we had a bus running that was moving speed skaters and they are working. They are going to have another event this summer thatís all about volleyball and weíre working with them in trying to assist in that.

The Fairgrounds, we are flushing the water today and getting ready to do that start up process.Weíve got some events scheduled in April just so everybody has a quick update on that.Thank you.

 

HALLORAN: Good morning.I just wanted to let you know we still have trees and shrubs available at our tree sale.We are out of just a couple things but we can still take orders and also, weíve had at least one intern position still available so if you could help us spread the word anybody who works for us gets a lot of great resume building experience and itís hard for people from far away to find places to live so spread the word locally so we can get some interns.

And then I did want to mention that there has been talk about having a Highway Superintendentís Association meeting, between Travis and Seth and weíve talked about it so hopefully there will be one coming up soon.

 

DELORIA:Thatís good.

 

HALLORAN:Any questions for soil and water?

 

MONTY:Who sets those up, those meetings is it Seth or Travis?

 

HALLORAN:Itís typically Seth.

 

PALMER: I talked to Seth.

 

MONTY:Okay thank you.

 

DELORIA:I think ours wants to join back in.

 

MONTY:For the highway superintendents a lot of the information comes out of through there from these meetings.Iíve taken maybe three years for my Highway Superintendent to go and now they are not having meetings.

 

DELORIA:Thank you Alice.Okay is there anything more to come before this committee?Nothing?We stand adjourned.

 

††††††††††† As there was no further discussion to come before this Department of Public Works committee, it was adjourned at 9:55 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Judith Garrison, Clerk

Board of Supervisors