DPW - COMMITTEE

Monday, March 15, 2021 - 9:30 AM

 

 

Clerkís note - This meeting was held virtually

 

 

Robin DeLoria, Chairperson

Archie Depo, Vice-Chairperson

 

Chairman DeLoria called this DPW Meeting to order at 9:30 am with the following Supervisors in attendance: Clayton Barber, Robin DeLoria, Archie Depo, Stephanie DeZalia, Shaun Gillilland, Joseph Giordano, Charlie Harrington, Roy Holzer, Ken Hughes, Steve McNally, Noel Merrihew, James Monty, Jay Rand, Tom Scozzafava, Jeff Subra, Ike Tyler and Davina Winemiller.Joe Pete Wilson was previously excused.

 

Department Heads present: Laura Carson, Jim Dougan, Judy Garrison, Dan Manning, Mike Mascarenas and Dan Palmer.

 

Also remote: Alice Halloran, Lynn Donaldson and Tim Rowland Ė Sun Community News.

 

 

DELORIA:I will call this DPW committee meeting to order and if we could stand for the pledge, Iíd appreciate it.Mr. Hughes, thank you for sharing your flag.Mr. Dougan, are you with us this morning?

 

DOUGAN:I am.

 

DELORIA:Good morning sir.

 

DOUGAN:Good morning.Good morning everyone.

 

DELORIA: I thank you for the telephone call on Friday and updating me on what your resolutions are.I will report that I was in Schroon Lake getting my first Covid vaccine shot. I thank the Town of Schroon Lake and the school district and the Department of Public Health for orchestrating that event.I go back for my second shot April 9th and then weíll be good to go.

Okay Jim, why donít you go ahead and start with your first resolution and Iíll let you take it from here.

 

DOUGAN:Okay good morning everyone.The first three resolutions are very similar so Iíll probably go into a little more detail on resolution number one and just knowing that the other two to follow will be similar.This resolution would be authorizing a contract amendment with Reale Construction in the amount of not to exceed $25,525.00, for labor and equipment necessary for road reconstruction of a section of the Tracy Road, located in the Town of Moriah with funds to come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the County Chairman or County Manager to execute it.This is a contract, the base contract the board approved about a month ago where we went out to bid for labor and equipment rates from contractors so that we could utilize them and kind of incorporate them and their larger equipment and their cure with work that we would do ourselves or material that we would purchase ourselves.So this is a section of the Tracy Road on about 2.2 miles in from North Hudson side where it meets Route 9.Itís near Feeder Pond so anybody familiar with that area would know where we are talking about.Itís about 200-foot long.We have had repeated failures in this section of road so we are proposing to go in and remove some of those poor sub soils, put down new well-draining gravel and fabric and hopefully get away from the disease that has haunted this section of road instead of constantly just repaving and dealing with symptoms.Any questions?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Jim, is that the section where the big boulders keep coming up if you are headed towards North Hudson in the west lane?

 

DOUGAN:Not positive if itís the same section or not Tom.Itís just before we get back to North Hudson there, near Feeder Pond.As the board probably recalls, we basically built our own coring machine a year ago, weíve been coring some of this asphalt and trying to see why it fails prematurely ourselves rather than using consultants for some of that and on this particular spot or maybe for me to say is what DPW has done in the past, weíve brought in a contractor in the past to do a processor reclamation or hammer mill where we grind up the whole road for a mile long section and spent a pretty good amount of money doing that in the past and in my opinion and having some good, young engineers here I think we may have been dealing with symptoms rather than the diseases because in this particular section of road I think itís really one bad section.Itís not a full mile road thatís bad, itís this one section.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH REALE CONSTRUCTION IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $25,525.00, FOR LABOR AND EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR ROAD RECONSTRUCTION OF A SECTION OF THE TRACY ROAD, LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF MORIAH WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Scozzafava, Depo

 

DELORIA:Thank you.Any discussion or questions on this?If not, all in favor, show your hands, speak.Okay, Jim, number two.

 

DOUGAN: Number two is the same kind of thing.This is a contract amendment with Reale Construction Company in an amount not to exceed $13,310.00 for labor and equipment for construction of Peal Street, located in the Town of Crown Point with funds to come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the county Chair or county Manager to sign.This is about a tenth of a mile in from Bradford Hill and Vinyard Road that intersection.Itís about 200-foot-long, itís one land that is failing and weíre planning on putting in about three feet of new, good training material.

 

DELORIA:Jimmy, I noticed on all these first three resolutions that the DPW is going to provide materials and itís part of the bid thereís got to be a considerable savings when the county participates in this type of in-kind services in there not?

 

DOUGAN:Yeah, I think so I mean, Iíve tried to prepare some numbers for the committee here base and I didnít do the numbers on every one of these three resolutions but I will tell you that the first resolution on Tracy Road, had I used the hammer mill process we wouldíve spent, between the contractor and the additional layer of asphalt that weíll have to put in over the full one mile, we would have spent around $159,800.If Iíd use the reclamation process again between that subcontractor and the additional layer of asphalt that we put in, we would have been around $94,600.In what Iím projecting on that Tracy Road section, this contract with Reale I will be buying about $14,000 worth of gravel delivered through our annual contract.Iíll be putting down about $2700 of road fabric and about $5200 of asphalt just to patch that section and my number comes out at about $48,000.So I think thereís a significant savings and again, I feel like weíre going after the real disease of that section rather than the symptoms.

 

DELORIA:Very good. Any questions on resolution number two?If not, can I have a motion?

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH REALE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $13,310.00 FOR LABOR AND EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR ROAD RECONSTRUCTION OF A SECTION OF PEARL STREET, LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF CROWN POINT WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Holzer, Barber

 

DELORIA:Thank you.Any further discussion?If not, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.Okay Jimmy number three.

 

DOUGAN:Number three, again contract amendment with Reale Construction in an amount not to exceed $27,425.00, for labor and equipment necessary for road reconstruction of a section of Hurricane Road located in the Town of Keene, with funds to come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the County Chair or County manager to execute it.This section is about 700-foot-long, itís not quite so deep or about .6 miles from the Jackson Road intersection and again, weíre going to bring the material in through our annual bids.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH REALE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $27,425.00 FOR LABOR AND EQUIPMENT NECESSARY FOR ROAD RECONSTRUCTION OF A SECTION OF HURRICANE ROAD LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF KEENE, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Winemiller, Scozzafva

 

DELORIA:Discussion?Okay, all in favor, opposed Ė carried.Number four, Jim.

 

DOUGAN:Number four, is requesting authorization to issue a permit to Lake Placid Marathon/Inspiration Sports, LLC for the use of the county roadways for the 2021 Lake Placid Marathon scheduled to be held on September 12th.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE ISSUANCE OF A PERMIT TO LAKE PLACID MARATHON/INSPIRATION SPORTS, LLC FOR THE USE OF THE COUNTY ROADWAYS FOR THE 2021 LAKE PLACID MARATHON TO BE HELD ON SEPTEMBER 12, 2021.Holzer, DeZalia

 

DELORIA:All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.Jim, number five.

 

DOUGAN:Number five, would be authorizing the purchasing agent to award a contract to Prime Highway Contractors, LLC in the amount of $639,659.80, for general construction of the Tracy Road over Ash Craft Brook Culvert Replacement project located in the Town of North Hudson, funds are coming from budgeted funds and further authorizing the County Chairman or County Manager to execute that contract.The budgeted funds there is a culvert New York Award we received a little over a year ago that we brought into this yearís budget.

 

DELORIA: Jimmy, is that a concrete culvert or what?

 

DOUGAN:Yup, that is a concrete structure. What it is a pre cast concrete what we call, high span units.Theyíll go in and theyíre basically 3 to 4-foot-wide by the whole length of the crossing across that brook and so thereís multiple sections that fit together on cast in place footing.

 

DELORIA:That should last.Can I get a motion on that?

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A CONTRACT TO PRIME HIGHWAY CONTRACTORS, LLC IN THE AMOUNT OF $639,659.80 FOR GENERAL CONSTRUCTION OF THE TRACY ROAD OVER ASH CRAFT BROOK CULVERT REPLACEMENT PROJECT LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF NORTH HUDSON WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAID CONTRACT.DeZalia, Depo

 

DELORIA:Any other discussion or questions?All in favor, opposed Ė carried.Number six Jim.

 

DOUGAN:Number six is authorizing a contract amendment with Atlantic Testing Laboratories in an amount not to exceed $7,716.56.This is third party asbestos, air and project monitoring that took place at the Town of Jay Emergency Shelter.When you deal with asbestos you have to have a third party company oversee the process for air monitoring.These funds are going to come from the Governorís Office of Storm recovering and this resolution would further authorize the County Manager or County Chairman to execute the contract amendment.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH ATLANTIC TESTING LABORATORIES IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $7,716.56, FOR THIRD PARTY ASBESTOS AIR AND PROJECT MONITORING FOR THE TOWN OF JAY EMERGENCY SHELTER UPGRADES WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM GOVERNORS OFFICE OF STORM RECOVERY.Depo, Holzer

 

DELORIA:Any questions?If not, all in favor, opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:Number seven, this is another bridge replacement project.Itís on the Tracy Road, itís on the North Hudson side, itís just before we get back to Route 9, itís a bridge we currently have posted for a maximum of 10 tons on it.This resolution is just for the pre cast concrete, weíre buying on this project the precast concrete directly and then the installation.General construction contract is out to bid and actually due tomorrow so, authorizing the purchasing agent to award a contract to Fort Miller Company in an amount of $160,670.00, for pre cast concrete bridge materials for the Tracy Road over New Pond Brook Replacement project located in North Hudson with funds to come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the County Chairman or County Manager to execute the same.

 

DELORIA:Jimmy, you said the contract is coming out tomorrow.Would we have a conclusion on that by ways and means?

 

DOUGAN:Yeah, in my discussion items on my agenda itís item number two under discussion items.The bids are due tomorrow, assuming that the bids are acceptable, they look balanced, we donít have any issues with them then I intend to bring at ways and means that installation contract again, assuming that the bids look acceptable.If for some reason those bids arenít acceptable then I may ask to pull this resolution.I may not want to have precast concrete staying there if I donít have a contractor lined up for it but based on the interest thus far Iím not expecting to have that issue.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A CONTRACT TO FORT MILLER COMPANY, INC. IN THE AMOUNT OF $160,670.00 FOR PRECAST CONCRETE BRIDGE MATERIALS FOR THE TRACY ROAD OVER NEW POND BROOK BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT, LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF NORTH HUDSON WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAID CONTRACT.Scozzafava, Barber

 

DELORIA:Any discussion or questions?If not, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.Okay, very good.Jimmy number eight.

 

DOUGAN:Number eight would be authorizing the purchasing agent to award a purchase order to PCS Crane Services in the amount of $9,903.75, for a 1-ton Jib crane with manual trolley and electric hoist, with funds to come from budgeted funds and further authorizing the County Chairman or County Manager to execute that purchase order.This is for installation at our welding shop with all the heavy steel that weíre moving around this Jib crane would be mounted there right where we do all our welding.

 

DELORIA:And Iíd like to move that.Do I have a second?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Second.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A PURCHASE ORDER TO PCS CRANE SERVICES IN THE AMOUNT OF $9,903.75, FOR A 1-TON JIB CRANE WITH MANUAL TROLLEY AND ELECTRIC HOIST, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE SAID PURCHASE ORDER.DeLoria, Scozzafava

 

DELORIA:Any discussion or questions?If not, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:For discussion, last month we set the dates for the Household Hazardous Waste Day events in order to ensure that we had the vendor lined up for the events this coming summer so Iíd like to know if the board would want to pick the locations that each of those dates are going to be?

 

WINEMILLER:What are the dates Jim?

 

DOUGAN:The dates are Saturday, July 10, Saturday, July 31, Saturday, August 14 and Saturday, August 28.In the past, usually the first Household Hazardous Waste Day event held it happens to take place at North Elba and in the past, the second one has been at DPW itís no necessary rhyme or reason for that just so everybody knows that and then the five locations that weíve used in the past youíll have to choose four out of five North Elba, Essex County DPW, North Hudson Transfer Station, Moriah Highway Garage and Ticonderoga Highway Garage.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:So, if Iím understanding it correctly weíre going to have four days so youíre looking for four sites, correct?

 

DOUGAN:Yes, that is correct Tom.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: I donít have any issue with North Elba, I donít have any issue with the county site because thatís centrally located in Lewis but I would like to see something down on the South end of the county for Ticonderoga, Moriah, Crown Point, Schroon that whole area.

 

DEZALIA:We can hold it in North Hudson again like we have in the past.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Did you get a good turnout in North Hudson Stephane when you have it there?

 

DEZALIA: I believe they do.I know Newcomb, it makes it easy for Newcomb because they bring things down.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:My point is you got between Moriah, Ticonderoga and Crown Point youíve got 13,000 people so Iím saying, are we getting Ė obviously we want to do this to try and hit the areas that in my opinion anyway, some consideration should be made on population of the area.

 

DEZALIA:Would you like in Moriah?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:I donít have a problem with Moriah or Ticonderoga.Crown Point is out the question they donít have a station.

 

PALMER:But thatís the option Tommy, my suggestion is that you use North Elba, Essex County DPW, North Hudson and then choose between Moriah and Ti.I think the last time Jim; do you know where we held the last one?Was it in Moriah or was it in Ti?

 

DOUGAN:I believe the last one we did, when we chose between those two the last one was Moriah and Ti was the year before I believe.

 

PALMER:Yeah, I think thatís the discussion we had that we were going to rotate those two between Moriah and Ti based on every other year.If that were the case, it would be due in Ti this year.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: Which is fine.I donít have an issue.

 

PALMER:Based upon that, I guess your four sites would be North Elba, Essex County DPW, North Hudson and Ticonderoga that would be the four sites.If thatís what people want to do, we can authorize those four sites for those four dates.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Iíll move that.

 

DEZALIA:Iíll second it.

 

DELORIA:Okay, thank you Steph.I have one comment to make on the North Hudson site that it not be on July 31st because thatís our steak roast weekend and itís just not a good day for me to field a crew to get together and bring that stuff or even for people to take stuff down there that particular day because itís a widely advertised event.So thatís my only comment on that if the board would be so inclined to give North Hudson a different weekend.

 

PALMER: Yeah, I think that would fall on 8/14, North Hudson if we did it by order.So North Elba would be 7/10, Essex County DPW would be 7/3, North Hudson would be 8/14 and Ticonderoga would be 8/28.

 

DELORIA:Okay do we want to incorporate these dates into this resolution Tom?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Yes.

DELORIA:Okay so we have a first and a second.

 

RESOLUTION SETTING THE DATES AND LOCATIONS OF THE HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DAY EVENTS FOR 2021.Scozzafava, DeZalia

 

DELORIA:Any discussion on the dates and locations?So we have a first and a second, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN:Great, thank you.Number two, we talked about a little bit before I just wanted the Board to be aware that I will be bringing most likely, assuming we get a decent bid, qualified in budget bids for that Tracy Road over New Pond Brook Replacement Project I will most likely will be bringing those to ways and means so itís not out of our normal committee, so when I can I like to give you a heads up.

 

DELORIA:Okay, very good.Do we have anything on Fish Hatchery today?

 

DOUGAN:No I donít have anything on my agenda for fish hatchery today unless anybody has any questions?

 

DELORIA:Davina, what about fairgrounds?Do you have anything on that this morning?

 

DOUGAN:For me?Are you looking for updates from my report?

 

DELORIA:In general, the fairgrounds committee met this morning and I didnít know if they had something they want to add?

 

DOUGAN:No, I donít think anything came out of the fairgrounds committee that needed to go here.I will tell you the discussions are about reopening and doing so with the guidelines for re-opening with Covid19 and getting some insurance from the Ag Society for anybody that missed that meeting.You know, I will be proceeding to turn on the water system in coordination with the Town of Westport and the month of April as we prepare for what Iím sure weíre all hoping is the opening of everything.

 

DELORIA:Okay, very good.We have Aliceís soil and water report Ė

 

GILLILLAND:Robin?

 

DELORIA:Shaun, Iím sorry go ahead.

 

GILLILLAND:I think we need to discuss the Transportation system and restarting the buses.I will say that Iíve been getting blasted by email, phone calls about you know, not mostly from people from North Elba but now itís from people from all over the county about when are you going to restart the transportation system?So I think we need to have a discussion on that.I did talk to Jim on Friday about it.You know the minimum is the drivers should be vaccinated which I believe Jim said that everybody, every drive that wanted to be vaccinated is vaccinated at this point but you know, the drivers have been doing the UV disinfection job but I think itís time for us to as a board, to move forward and make a decision so Iíd like to throw that out there as a point of discussion.

 

DELORIA:Okay, go ahead Tommy.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Yeah, Iím in agreement Mr. Chairman Iíve also had some feedback in regards to when we plan to start it again, I know my community a lot of our community are dependent upon it so I would absolutely support you know, with the guidelines whatever they are today to start up the transportation system.

 

DELORIA:Very good.Any other comments, suggestions?

 

MONTY:My only question is do we have enough bus drives that have been vaccinated to operate the bus.If we do, I think itís a great idea but I really donít think we should be having drivers drive if they havenít been vaccinated just my own thought.

 

DOUGAN:I will try to answer that question.Do we have enough bus drivers to drive?Yes, we have enough bus drivers to drive.Two of our current bus driver staff did not receive the vaccinations.The hard part for me is going to be to try to keep up the level of UV disinfection at the same time.I donít have enough staff to do both of those tasks simultaneously so thatíll be the discussion.Itís still my understanding that when it comes to the buses that itís still basically 50% that weíre talking about and in trying to keep six feet apart.Maybe some of those regulations have changed and Iím not up to date on them.We did install Plexiglas dividers that basically provide protection for our bus driver at really, every bus that we have including the hiker shuttles.Weíve installed hand sanitizing stations as you enter the bus.We still have the signs and things made that require social distancing and the six feet separation currently.So I feel that weíre prepared.I would ask for at least a couple of weeks to build the employee schedule to get them from doing UV and back into bus routes and make our announcements but the hard part is going to be if youíre wanting me to still perform both UV and bus routes.

 

PALMER:Robin?

 

DELORIA:Yes, go ahead.

 

PALMER: I think we could go ahead and hire some staff for doing the UV cleaning that would not be bus drivers that would you know, it would be easier to hire somebody at a lower level to do that in terms of not having a driverís license.Iím reasonably confident that any money we spend on doing that would be a reimbursable cost under the stimulus package that is coming out.I saw some of the stuff that the guidelines that have been proposed and clearly, one of those is anything that related to protection of the work staff so Iím confident that if we went ahead and authorized Jim to hire temporary staff to take over that UV cleaning that weíve been doing we would get reimbursed for that under the Federal stimulus.So, that would be my recommendation, that we began the re start of the transportation system probably at the April whatever the board meeting is and then authorize some hiring of staff, whatever Jim thinks is necessary to continue the UV cleaning that weíve been doing.So if you wanted to do a resolution authorizing the transportation is restart as of whatís April board meeting date and then authorize Jim to hire temporary employees or cleaners for the purpose of UV cleaning.

 

DELORIA:Dan Palmer, do you believe that thereís a need to have some sort of no, maybe I enter their employee memo that went out to these drivers so that know, fully understand what responsibilities that are going to have in getting these buses back out or does something exist now or is it necessary?

 

PALMER:I think Jim has had that discussion with them in terms of when we would restart and you know, putting the Plexiglas in there I think provides a certain level of comfort for those drivers. You know I think all of them have been vaccinated except for a couple that chose not to I think thatís a general issue that we have throughout the workforce.I think a lot of the workforce here at the county has been vaccinated you know, and I think by probably by the first part of April almost everybody will have access to that vaccine and again, I think that becomes another issue in terms of whether they want to have the vaccine.

 

DELORIA:Correct.Would somebody like to move this?

 

SCOZZAFAVA: Iíll move it for discussion.

 

DELORIA: Thank you Tom.And a second?Stephanie.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE RESTART OF THE ESSEX COUNTY TRANSPORTATION SERVICE EFFECTIVE APRIL 5, 2021 AND FURTHER AUTHORIZING THE HIRING OF TEMPORARY EMPLOYEES FOR THE PURPOSE OF ULTRA-VIOLET CLEANING.Scozzafava, DeZalia

 

DELORIA:Discussion Tom?

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Dan, these are going to be temporary positions correct?

 

PALMER: Yeah, I would start them out as temporary positions until you knew exactly where the funding was or how long the funding would provide for.You know, like I said, I know thereís language that clearly states if youíre using funds for the purpose of protecting the workforce that you can get reimbursed for that.I donít know the timeframe for that so I think you would start temporary.If it became something you could cover on a permanent basis you might consider that.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:So how often does the cleaning need to be done?

 

PALMER:Itís done every day.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:I mean, but Iím saying give me a time like does it take an hour to clean the bus, does it take a half hour?

 

PALMER:No, weíre not talking about busses weíre talking about the UV cleaning for all the office buildings on all of the buildings that we own.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Okay.

 

PALMER:There is at least two employees that go around every day and UV clean the rooms.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:So the bus drivers have been doing that part since they havenít been driving bus?

 

PALMER:Right.

 

DOUGAN:Thatís correct.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:I follow you.Okay, thank you.Now I understand.

 

PALMER:They allowed us to get reimbursed for those drivers regardless of whether they were driving or not as long as we were continuing to work them and thatís what we, thatís the role that we chose to put them in during that period.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Okay so the drivers will be back in the bus so we need somebody to replace the drivers for that.

 

PALMER:Thatís exactly it, yes.

 

DOUGAN:We currently have, weíve broken up our bus drivers but weíve got about 60 to 70 hours a week for two people so around 140 hours a week that is specifically on the portable UV machines that weíre taking throughout the county buildings.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:If I may, because of that became part of the conversation on the vaccines I guess my understanding is we canít force employees to take the vaccine.I know the situation here with some employees they are all waiting for the one shot, J and J.So, I mean, where do we go with that Dan?I mean, can you force Ė

 

PALMER:I donít know there is some discussion you know; at the Federal level you know as to whether the employer can require employees to get shots.I think thatís you know; I think itís a path you probably wouldnít want to go down unless you absolutely had to.I mean, ideally you would want everybody to get the shots theyíre going to be certain ones that probably canít and have legitimate reasons.I think it really comes back to some point, to benefits.In other words, you know right now weíre going out of our way to provide extra benefits for individuals exposed or that havenít gotten the shot.I think you would have to at some point re-evaluate that if and fact the shots were available and somebody just chose not to take it.

 

DELORIA:Right.

 

GILLILLAND:One thing is that these were authorized by FDA under emergency use so thereís different rules for requiring it under Federal Law.Like right now, the active duty Military is still voluntary to take it because they are restricted from requiring them to do it and thatís a population that you would think that they would be told to do it anyway but because itís emergency use you canít.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:I mean itís a Ė are State employees, Federal employees are they mandated to take it?Personally I canít see where you can mandate anyone to take it.

 

GILLILLAND:No, you canít because itís an emergency use you canít mandate it.

 

SCOZZAFAVA: Right, so but I think the J & J shot is the game changer.I mean, I know a number of people including myself, that are waiting for that vaccine.

 

TYLER:I got it on Thursday.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:You did, where?

 

TYLER: I got it at the hospital on Thursday.

 

DELORIA:Any other questions?We had a first and a second on this, correct?

 

PALMER:Thatís correct.

 

DELORIA:All in favor, any opposed Ė carried.Okay, nobody had any questions for Alice, Soil and Water her report you have in front on you.Is there anything else that I missed that needs to come before this committee?

 

SCOZZAFAVA: I have a question for Alice.Where are we on the Fisk Road grant application?

 

HALLORAN:We are still in preliminary discussions and then we need to get the engineering bid out.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Okay, so itís moving?

 

HALLORAN:Yeah, Iíll call you about it.

 

SCOZZAFAVA:Okay thanks.

 

DELORIA:Any other questions for Alice?Thank you Alice for coming.If there is nothing more to come to this committee, I will move to adjourn.Thank you for coming people.

 

††††††††††† As there was no further discussion to come before this DPW meeting it was adjourned at 10:04 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Judith Garrison, Clerk

Board of Supervisors