Buildings and Facilities Task Force

Monday, March 4, 2024 - 9:00 am

 

Steve McNally - Chairman

 

Supervisor Tyler called this task force to order at 9:32 am with the following in attendance: Robin DeLoria, Shaun Gillilland, Cathleen Reusser, Matt Stanley, Ike Tyler, Mark Wright, Jim Dougan, and Mike Mascarenas. Chris Clark, Steve McNally, Favor Smith, and Meg Wood had been previously excused.

 

Also present: Dina Garvey, Andrew Stanley, Elizabeth Lee and Nancy Page.

 

TYLER: Okay, we’ll start.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: I have a couple of slides to go through, just a quick update on Ag and Youth Building and then a quick update on where we are with the Old Jail.

So, the Ag and Youth Building, had a meeting, a few weeks back with RD on the design. We did get some comments back from them. There was nothing serious, but at that meeting there was good discussion and at that meeting we kind of convinced them to waive the design development review phase, which isn’t the longest review, but it’s up there. I mean we’ve got pretty close to 80 pages of drawings that they would have had to review.

 

TYLER: Do they do that often? 

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: I think the reason behind this, this is a pretty unique grant, RD is generally used to operating under a loan basis, so they’re very strict.

 

MASCARENAS: Being that this a congressional award, other than their normal process, it’s a hybrid model, they’re saying, well, we’ve still got to meet or process in all of these areas, but some of these other things really don’t matter, because where the funding’s coming from is different than what they typically deal with.

 

STANLEY, A: I think, maybe I’m wrong, but generally, we just finished the application process and they’re obligating money, you would really be able to submit drawings or anything until you have a full application.

 

MASCARENAS: Exactly, typically you develop the application, first, you would await approval, that kind of thing. This was backwards. Money was designated, now give us your application and tell you want you’re going to do with it.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: So, that should move things along pretty good, with the full application submitted, all the regulatory agencies have signed off and we would like to start prepping that area, get stuff moved around, move some of the buildings or relocate or move, whatever needs to be moved in that area.

 

TYLER: Do you know if the Ag people still have stuff in that building there?

 

MASCARENAS: In the old building?

 

TYLER: I’m sure they’ll be in to get their crap out of there or whatever they got to do with it.

 

DOUGAN: We’re going to start with those two appendages to the 4H bar, because we know those are coming down and that tree and one of the other little buildings is going away and the other one is getting relocated, including some the loud speaker equipment still in that one building. So, we’ve got some coordination to do with them.

 

TYLER: Right

 

DOUGAN: It’s still real wet, out there, I wouldn’t want to get out there just yet, but that’s good news that they’re okay with that whole part of the plan, the environmental piece they’re okay with.

 

STANLEY: That’s all I had for Ag and Youth. Old jail demo; the pod is currently being advertised on Auctions International

 

DOUGAN: We do have another municipality that is already interested and they are sending a contractor to come and look at it, in order to put a bid in.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: There is a transportation company coming out. There is a town is Oswego County is interested in it. We are pretty hopeful we’ll be able to get rid of it.

 

TYLER: As long as we get it out of Essex County, after that we don’t know anything about it.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: Other than that, we finished our relocation of utilities there. We have an idea of where everything is. We have a plan to shut down water, move sewer once the pod is out of the way and the jail will be ready to come down.

 

DOUGAN: Yeah, we found the water. The water service actually leaves this building, we’ll be doing a weekend shut down, here, to put in a valve to shut it off and then once the pod is removed, we’ll be digging down to the sewer to make a physical disconnect. So, that when they come in and then we’ll starting moving electrical once we know we don’t have to keep any heat back in the buildings, we’ll start disconnecting the electrical and the electrical to the pod.

 

MASCARENAS: Just as a reminder to the Board, both of these projects that you’re seeing on here are ARPA projects, just a reminder to the old Board Members and new, too. So, as a condition of this, we have to move. We have to obligate these funds by the end of the year. While the Board has obligated them in terms of a resolution, we have to have them under contract in order to not be penalized and return those ARPA funds. So, it’s critical that these things keep moving forward, we get them out to bid, we get them under contract, so that we’re at delinquent on those funds.

 

DOTY: Is the total spenddown by the end of ’25 or ’26?

 

MASCARENAS: ’25 is the spenddown, ’24 is the obligation and that’s true in your own towns.

 

DOTY: I am going through the same.

 

MASCARENAS: If you have money, you need to make sure that you have under contract by the end of this year and spent by the end of next year.

 

DOTY: We find that it is very easy to allocate it.

 

MASCARENAS: It is, the problem is us is these are big projects. It wouldn’t be as hard to spend, but they’re public works projects.

 

DELORIA: Ours is gone, it was gone last year.

 

DOUGAN: We’ve emptied what we can out of the pod, but we’re waiting for push button locks, just because the way they operate, they have to have a republican and a democratic to enter into a room. They have one more room in the Public Safety Building that we got to move the remainder of their storage stuff to. We’re waiting on a $3,000.00 lock to do that and then we’ll move the rest of it, which means then we can say that the pod is truly empty.

 

DOTY: What’s your idea, steel I beams, under that thing? How are you going to disconnect it?

 

DOUGAN: It came in three parts.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: It’s a modular unit, it came in three parts on a trailer.

 

DOUGAN: The center section is just two ends and a roof, so it’s, they’re going to have some shoring and things like that to move that. The other two sides, probably move more like a double wide mobile home.

 

MASCARENAS: The plan would be on the person taking it to figure that out.

 

DOUGAN: We’ve not expecting a very high bid, because somebody’s going to have to put all that work into moving it.  

 

DELORIA: How long is it?

 

DOUGAN: 64’

 

DELORIA: You’re not moving it on a low-boy.

 

DOUGAN: I believe it’s all set up to have axels underneath it, but I don’t think there’s any tires. There’s nothing left there, right?

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: Nope

 

DOUGAN: And the jail, the area that Probation is going to, it’s well on its way. We’re waiting mostly for the carpet contractor to show up.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: Furniture

 

DOUGAN: And then the furniture and then we can move them.

Fairgrounds: Andrew, do you want to talk that one through, I have been handling that stuff, so.

We have added just a couple of things since our last meeting. The Westport-Wadhams Community Alliance would like to use the fairgrounds for parking during the solar eclipse, through other things that they’re doing and also coordinating with ROOST, so we’re working on that a little bit.

 

TYLER: I told them that might be an issue with…

 

DOUGAN: It’s going to be awful wet. It’s liable to be awful wet and then May 30th there’s going to be a job fair hall that is being organized by CVTech with Personnel and myself, here and with Carol Calabrese. So, those couple of things have been added.

All the other items for discussion are pretty much the same. We have been…

 

TYLER: I gave you the dates of the Fair the last time I was here.

 

MASCARENAS: Yup, you did.

 

DOUGAN: I think you did, but I didn’t keep good notes.

 

TYLER: I got them in my phone.

 

DOUGAN: We brought some of the benches that were donated by the towns in and Glen has been working on those, all winter, too, to get those spruced up and put back out there. This last wind event, we did lose quite a few shingles from the old Cornell Building, so we’re going to have to address that, but most of the other items from the next page, are really, they’re sitting in the same spot, coordinating with George. 

 

TYLER: We’re waiting to hear back from the APA and I think we’re just going to move ahead with that. This month’s Planning Board meeting is going to get our new amendments to our zoning and we’re going to move ahead on that sooner, I hope, right after that meeting.

 

DOUGAN: Okay

 

TYLER: The Town Board can move ahead, no matter what, we’re just waiting to get their opinions on it.

 

MASCARENAS; Jim, what’s the turnaround time on that, do you know? If we get the go ahead on the digital sign.

 

DOUGAN: The last time, quote we got, just for budgeting purposes, Daniel said that a new signs would be around 8-10 weeks from when they would deliver a digital sign. We’ve got foundations and other things to put in there to hold that, based on our design, but I guess if we move quickly, it might be something that we’re able to do before August.

 

TYLER: So, moving around the entrance way, I know we discussed that a couple of times, but is that going to take place after the Fair, this year or at some point?

 

DOUGAN: I’ve got the drawing all done. I think we’re going to submit them to DOT this week and see what DOT says. If it goes really quickly, we haven’t included in the drawings for this, for the new building. So, I think we may wait until Fair is over, but we’ve also got Harvest Fest to deal with and asphalt plants close at a certain time of the year. So, we’ve either got to get to hammered out ahead of time or just get all our permits and everything in place and then tackle it, early spring, next year.

 

LEE: Just to throw into that though, we’re meeting with the Sheriff’s Office, next week, week after, because of all the traffic issues that were there during the Harvest Festival, last year. So, we were going to try and make a plan with them, just to ensure that it doesn’t clog up the whole town, again. If you do find out that you’re going to do that sooner than later, before the festival, let us know, because he’s going to make plans, also for staffing for what is needed that day, so keep us in the loop and we’ll adjust accordingly, but know that we are aware that that was really the only big issue that we had last year that we need to tweak.

 

DOUGAN: Yeah, we have a drawing of the fairgrounds as they exist right now and we also have a drawing of how we plan on do it, so why don’t you take those with you for this meeting to discuss some of what we have planned to go on.

 

LEE: Okay

 

DOUGAN: Hopefully, a little bit of it might be relieved once the new building is built with the parking off of Sisco Street and some of those things.

 

LEE: I would be glad, once I have that and talk to you, too, because I think that we’re going to try and use that other entrance for handicapped, so that people can park up there, because there was just, the handicapped people, there was not enough spaces right there, old spaces and people were walking across that little triangle with walkers and strollers and canes and things, so we want to move them over to the other side. So, if we made the handicapped entrance go the other way, they could park by the grandstand area, over that way and then they would be right on a hard surface to go right into the festival. So, a lot safer, a lot safer and I will just keep you posted on what they’re recommendations are.

 

PAGE: Jim, is the new entrance off of Sisco Street or are you coming in from…

 

TYLER: The main street.

 

PAGE: Up by the railroad tracks?

 

TYLER: It’s going to be west, more west than it is now.

 

PAGE: More west, so where?

 

TYLER: Between the track and about where the sign is.

 

PAGE: The Nutrition Building?

 

TYLER: No, no, no, that far up. About where it is now, move it up about 50 feet.

 

PAGE: Okay, got it, to do directly into the parking there.

 

DOUGAN: So, we can go directly off of 9 and 22, rather than that rear, swing around on Sisco and then the gate that’s down on Sisco, down farther, closer to the school, that will be, as part of the new building, there will be a parking area there and in the future, that might be where you bring your handicapped parking.

That’s about where we are with all those items for the fairgrounds.

 

TYLER: Anybody have anything?

 

PAGE: I just have another question about the new building, so after you met with Rural Development, were there any changes in the design?

 

DOUGAN: No, we’re going to advertise a public informational meeting, here, very shortly and it’s not a public hearing, but we’re required to do a public information meeting, so we’re going to do that. The design has pretty much stayed the same and again, like Andrew said, we’ve got about 80 drawings worth of things, so far, it will probably grow another 20-30.

 

LEE: Are people going to see those ahead or are you going to just select some of them?

 

DOUGAN: Yeah, we’re not going to hand out packages of all the electrical drawings and all of those things.

 

LEE: Right

 

DOUGAN: We’ll have 3D schematic and floor plans and those kinds of things as part of that presentation.

I haven’t scheduled it yet, I would think it’s probably going to happen in April.

 

STANLEY, MATT: When is the project scheduled to actually start breaking ground for this? On schedule for this fall or next spring?

 

DOUGAN: It will be this fall. We are looking at that right now. We’re also breaking up the package that we’re going to bid to, we’re trying to talk to local contractors and see who’s busy, who’s not busy. One of the thoughts that we have is to bid it by summer, but not break ground until we get closer to fall or maybe after, start real work after the two big events and then try to get the building dried in. You know, basically get a roof on it by, before Christmas, Thanksgiving would be the goal, but then you can let plumbers, electricians, drywallers work all winter long. Quite often you can get better pricing when you can do that. So, we’re trying to do all that timing while getting permits from RD, while getting these drawings done and you know, we may buy roof trusses, ourselves, we may, we’re talking about splitting the packages up to concrete and site work and then have the GC be separate from that with us providing some of the materials, just to try and buy the price down and maybe get almost a head start on some of those long lead time items.

 

STANLEY, MATT: So, when you were talking about some of those ancillary ends of the barn and that stuff, that’s going to happen, essentially once the ground dries out?

 

DOUGAN: That’s going to happen relatively soon. Be out of the way before any of those events occur.

 

LEE: Is there a way, if you were just going to pick, I don’t know, 6-5, however many views that you’re going to put out there, to put those online, so people can look at them ahead of the meeting? I think people are going to want to take a little time to look at them, but if that’s something that can’t works I understand, but on the other hand, I think that it takes a little while for people to like look at them and in the moment they might not be able to formulate their questions, so if people could see just a pictures and then they’ll be more informed when they come.

 

DOUGAN: Yeah, I don’t see where we can’t do that. I don’t see where that hurts a lot. We’re going to give you the pictures of the outside of the building, we’re going to give you the floorplans of the building. That’s been developed around the tenants that we plan on putting in the building. I am sure there are going to be some comments, I don’t expect us to change a lot.

 

LEE: I don’t either, I just know that, I don’t even want to say it aloud, but the process with the school, people were objected that they didn’t see things ahead or time or didn’t know things ahead of time. I don’t know if it’s any better or worse to do it this way, but maybe showing, just what you just said, letting people have access to it, creating access, they can look at it or not and they might or might not change their opinion with that, but at least they’ve had a chance to look at it ahead of time.

 

DOUGAN: Sure

 

DOTY: I know I asked it before and I can’t remember the answer, did we build 20% in for contingency?

 

DOUGAN: 15% is what we start with RD.

 

DOTY: I am always nervous.

 

DOUGAN: It’s going to be tight.

 

MASCARENAS: Yeah

 

DOTY: It’s nerve racking.

 

DOUGAN: It may and I haven’t brought this discussion to Mike, yet, but there maybe things like, you move forward with the structure, you move forward with all those things and then we know what some other more finished packages are worth and then look at how to award that separately, if need be. Site work, are people could do some of it, but then I’m not doing paving those are decisions that we’ll have.

 

TYLER: Definitely are going to have to do that with budget that we’re under to do this project. I mean that makes sense, it’s going to take a little more work, a lot more work on your part.

 

DOUGAN: It’s going to be tight.

 

MASCARENAS: You have $3.5 set aside.

 

DOUGAN: $3.5 set aside. We’ve also been at  the fairgrounds and Andrew’s showing a little bit of it, we’ve been really working on the electrical over there to know right where everything is available. Some of your biggest issues other than your traffic, have been the large events, the fair or the Harvest Festival, when they bring vendors in, some of them want 30 amps, 50 amps, whatever for their food carts and you do a layout and it doesn’t really jive with where the electrical is available. So, we’re trying to have a drawing available where that’s going to be, so as they start to plan their event, they know where they have the electric for those things.

 

DOTY: New transformers?

 

DOUGAN: No, we aren’t necessarily upgrading anything. We’re just trying to get them the information, so they don’t plan an event, you last year for example, one of their events need 30 or 50 amps and it was immediately available on the Floral Hall side of the parking lot, but they wanted everybody set up on the other side. So, it’s just, this will help them plan by us giving them that information ahead of time.

 

DELORIA: If there’s any question, they need to understand what it takes to drop in a 50 amp receptacle, you’re not running a lead cord.

 

DOUGAN: Nobody does, nobody does. I can tell you the arguments.

 

DELORIA: They will get what they get and there’s no discussion.

 

DOUGAN: Thank you, but it doesn’t always go real well.

 

LEE: It adaptation in the moment, when you’re thinking you’re setting up and you just have to change your plans and it’s a ripple effect.

 

DOUGAN: We’ll have and plan and it tells you where it’s available.

 

STANLEY, MATT: Changing gears a little bit, what’s the timeframe on the fiber and Wi-Fi?

 

DOUGAN: The equipment that we were purchasing, I believe IT already has.

 

MASCARENAS: Yup, we got it all.  

 

DOUGAN: And we’re just trying to coordinate with Chazy-Westelcom for an update to their fiber quote, so we can get that done.

 

MASCARENAS: Part of the deal that was explained here, I didn’t have a discussion with them. That was the Ag Society that did. Westelcom would run the fiber there, if we entered into an agreement with them for that service for a period of time. So, you’ve got to have the fiber to be able to connect, so how that pans out, but we are prepared.

 

STANLEY, MATT: And the timeframe would be to be done before fair, this year?

 

MASCARENAS: Yeah

 

DOUGAN: That’s the goal, but we’re also trying to coordinate with…

 

MASCARENAS: Trying to get that fiber into Floral Hall, that’s kind of the hub of where we’re going to, that would be the center point of the county wireless network that we have to be installed there. That’s what we need.

 

DELORIA: Are they able to go underground with a ditch switch?

 

MASCARENAS: I don’t have a clue what was worked out.

 

DOUGAN: That’s why we’re trying to coordinate with this new building, because I think they might have been cutting right through that path from Sisco. I’m not sure of that.

 

TYLER: So, who’s the connect with Westelcom? Do you have one? Because just knowing the dealings that I have, you really need to be persistent to get stuff done with Westelcom.

 

MASCARENAS: I don’t have anyone. I was counting on the Ag Society to do that legwork to get us that there and I thought our part was to get the wireless network.

 

TYLER: So, right now the ball is in the Ag Society to get ahold of Westelcom?

 

MASCARENAS: Yeah, because Denny had done that initial legwork, so if they want to continue that it would be helpful.

 

TYLER: I will make sure that they’re aware of that issue.

 

MASCARENAS: It would be helpful to do that and then Huge is ready to roll on our end to be able to get that.

 

TYLER: I will notify them.

Anything else?

 

DOUGAN: Restore New York, ATL has been onsite down at Frontier Town.

 

STANLEY, ANDREW: Just waiting on the report.

 

DOUGAN: And the report you’re waiting on, then we’ll be able to determine where we go next from that and I’ll be bringing. We’ve got some money from DOT for upgrades or creation of a new transportation building, where DOT is going to pay for more than 90% of it, all of the engineering and so at some point, I’ll be asking to go out to RFP for a consultant to help us with those things. Not quite there yet, waiting for the contract with DOT to come back, fully signed, but it was included, we were told that it was included in what they were giving us.

 

TYLER: Is that site etched in stone?

 

DOUGAN: No, I think we have to review some things.

 

TYLER: Thank you

 

DOUGAN: Well, there’s Smart Growth and other things that DOT, they like where you can put it where water and sewer exists, already, so.

 

MASCARENAS: Right

 

LEE: I have one other thought, that I forgot to ask before, the thing that is happening, the job fair, May 30th?

 

DOUGAN: Yes

 

LEE: Who’s the organizer?

 

DOUGAN: CV Tech is who I’ve been dealing with the most, but I think Carol is who really got it started.

 

LEE: I will check with her. I would love to have 4H participate and maybe have them do, both sides, maybe do a presentation of welding that were doing.

 

DOUGAN: It’s a job fair.

 

LEE; So, they’re not going to have any, it’s just handing out?

 

DOUGAN: By all means, I think you should share your concepts with Carol and see if it fits well.

 

LEE: I will do that.

 

TYLER: Hearing nothing, we have a meeting to get to, thank you, everybody.   

 

 

 

AS THERE WAS NO FURTHER BUSINESS TO COME BEFORE THIS BUILDING AND FACILITIES TASK FORCE, IT WAS ADJOURNED AT 9:57 AM

 

 

Respectively Submitted,

 

 

 

Dina Garvey, Deputy Clerk

Board of Supervisors