Buildings and Facilities Task Force

Monday, March 4, 2024 - 9:00 am

 

Steve McNally - Chairman

 

Supervisor McNally called this task force to order at 9:32 am with the following in attendance: Chris Clark, Robin DeLoria, Derek Doty, Steve McNally, Jim Monty, Meg Wood, Mark Wright, and Jim Dougan.

 

Also present: Dina Garvey, Andrew Stanley, Bill Johnston, Elizabeth Lee and Nancy Page.

 

MCNALLY: Go ahead and start, Jimmy.

 

DOUGAN: I’ll turn it over to Andrew.

 

STANLY; We’ll start with the Ag and Youth Building; R&D is currently preparing our Letter of Conditions which is basically our contract with them. Some of the things within in are the BABAA waiver. We were successful in getting a BABAA waiver, so we’re not going to be restricted to the Build America Act which will reflect on the cost, pretty sustainably. And also, as things dry up we’re going to start prepping the area, get some of the old buildings down and moved out of the way and get that area ready for whoever might be doing construction.

 

DOUGAN: So, we think we’re going to be bidding that during the month of May, with opening bids in the month of June. That is right now, where we think we’re going to be. We’ll be advertising a public information meeting. It will probably  take place in early to mid-May, just before we do any bids. So, we’ll be setting that up and getting a date for that in the near future.

As far as environmental goes, they pretty much signed up on everything.

 

STANLEY: The full application has been submitted, that’s basically the Letter of Conditions, is saying we have everything we need to program the money and the next step would be that we have final construction documents for them to sign off on. Once they sign off on those, we’re ready.

 

LEE: I know we have some stuff in there that in those things that will probably be at the top of your list to get out of the way, and we’ll just work with you. Nobody wanted to drive, it’s just too much of a swamp, so there’s things that we need to move.

 

DOUGAN: Yup, that would be great.

 

STANLEY: Old Jail demo; we received a bidder for the pod. I have been in contact with this gentleman, he’s currently working to get the permits to get the structure moved out. He’s got a little bit of time there, but he’s hopeful to have it done by the end of May, if everything  works out good, he should have that out of there, it shouldn’t be that big of a deal.

Once the pod’s gone, and we’re going to be able to relocate some of the utilities and start the bidding process for taking the Old Jail down.

The area for Probation at the Public Safety Building is almost complete, we have D&D scheduled for the week of the 8th, maybe the end of this week, we’re kind of working some stuff out, but by the end of next week, they’ll have the carpet in and that area will be ready for Probation.

 

DOUGAN: Their carpet came through that port in Baltimore, but it supposedly already landed was already on its way to us, supposedly.

 

STANLEY: It was supposed to leave the Port of Baltimore that morning.

 

DOUGAN: If you do go out back, you’ll see that we removed the skirting or this company actually came and removed the skirting from the pod already and he was determining, you know, how he was going to get axles underneath to get his permits to move it. So, he’s very serious, this week we’ve got the primary voting and then after that is done, we have just materials, equipment that’s still stored, not the voting machines, but other files and things and so starting next week, we’ll be working with Board of Elections, again to move the rest of that up to the Public Safety Building.

 

MCNALLY: How far is he taking that building?

 

DOUGAN: I don’t know.

 

STANLEY: Oswego.

 

DOUGAN: Is that where it’s going?

 

MCNALLY: You’ve got to be kidding me.

 

STANLEY: So, the company he owns is called Chase Enterprise, he’s got like 15 different spots, Nationwide, so he’s, this isn’t out of his wheelhouse, he’s got everything under control.

 

MCNALLY: He knows what he’s doing.

 

DOUGAN: They moved a lot of Probation files already and installed some new shelving. That one door has been relocated to become an interview room for them.

 

STANLEY: So, Frontier Town, the Restore NY, we finally got the asbestos survey back from ATL and there was a decent amount of hot areas. I’ve got them listed there. Those are just specific materials, there’s, obviously the roofing paper and stuff, it would be the whole structure is considered, even if it’s not falling down and in a pile, which is basically what Main Street is. Some of the buildings are still standing which can potentially salvage or if we were going to work on them, they’re concerned hot.

 

DOUGAN: Yeah, 2.1 Main Street is not structurally sound enough for us to abate anything, so everything in that structure is going to have to get hauled away as asbestos containing and then the other structures, all appear to be structurally sound enough for us to abate them, rather than hauling all material away as asbestos containing.  This survey was limited to just really, it wasn’t every building on the site, it was only the buildings that were included in the Restore NY Grant application.

 

STANLEY: Which are all the buildings that are labeled were tested and the ones that are highlighted in yellow there are the buildings that have materials that are hot.

Also, there the APA is requested a site assessment prior to making a determination, so they kind of put the brakes on us a little bit there, we can’t do anything on that site, until they come out and make a determination.

 

MCNALLY: What do they determine?

 

STANLEY: Wetland.

 

WOOD: Is that a new request? More recently?

 

STANLEY: No, it is part of the grant. So, that, just without any kind of a, without APA doing their survey assessment, just based off of their maps, a large portion of that property is considered wetland.

 

WOOD: I am just wondering if they just asked for it or if it’s been in the hopper?

 

STANLEY: So, anytime we do any construction or anything like that you have to apply for, so it’s just part of the process.

 

WOOD: Alright

 

DOUGAN: Some of our wetlands are truly constructed wetlands, because that’s the former pond area right next to the gristmill was constructed as part of the water wheel at the gristmill.

 

STANLEY: And Mary O’Dell, is pretty good to work with, she may be open to realize that that’s not really a natural wetland, we’ll see. She’s been good to work with in the past.

 

DOTY: Can I ask a quick question on the wetlands. Did you have to go through a new FEMA upgrade for mean high water mark, like a lot of our communities had to do, because of climate change?

 

DOUGAN: Actually that’s all happening in the towns, themselves.

 

DOTY: Right, but as we acquired it.

 

DOUGAN: Frontier Town?

 

DOTY: Yeah

 

DOUGAN: I don’t recall any of that, but some of it is right there along the Schroon River. I don’t know if that was part of anything that was done in mapping by the Town of North Hudson and I honestly don’t know if the consultants that were involved in that initial survey prepared anything on that. I can look into that.

 

DOTY: I’m just wondering if that was a trigger for APA?

 

DOUGAN: It’s a project, you can immediately on the wetland map and there’s…

 

DOTY: It’s pretty distinct.

 

STANLEY: That’s generally what they do, is we send in an application with the location on the map and they’ll go to their site and say, there’s blue within a 100 feet of that area and we need to do a site visit.

 

DOTY: Okay

 

DOUGAN: And the Schroon River is a wild and scenic, so if we’re doing anything within 250’ of that, that triggers jurisdiction for the APA, as well.

 

DOTY: Good enough, thanks.

 

MCNALLY: Do not let the APA dog you around for 6 months on that.

 

STANLEY: No, no, I know other people have had different experiences, but in my experience with the APA, they’ve actually been pretty prompt.

 

MCNALLY: Because they will, they don’t like to make decisions, so they like to do a lot a research.

 

DOUGAN: We do have a letter of award for the Restore NY. We do not have a contract, yet, so we’re going to move forward with getting our specs on this asbestos abatement done, but at some point, you know, the Board, this group, somebody’s going to have to make a decision if we’re going to move forward without an official contract from them. So, who, do you remember who the funding source is, again? I forget who the funding source is, but they’re historically slower to get paid then even R&D and some of the other ones. So, we’ve got to make sure that we want to move forward with this once we get out specs done, without a contract.

 

STANLEY: And the last thing I had with that, is that now that we have the reports, we can put the response in SHPPO, they had a little bit of concern with the level of detail we were able to provide to them in our submission, which we didn’t know. We didn’t know what buildings were asbestos contained. We don’t know what buildings were going to consider wetlands, so now that we have some of that, we will be able to respond to them, it shouldn’t be an issue there.

 

DOUGAN: Fairgrounds, we did have a rabies clinic there on March 27th. We’ve got a handful of events planned for the month of April with the Ag Society’s craft fair on the 27th and then a horse riding clinic and evaluation with 4H, CCE on the same date. Other than that it’s just the pickup for the tree and shrub sale and Westport/Wadhams Community Alliance may be trying to use some of the areas for parking. As wet as it is, they’re going to have to stay on any asphalt areas and our road, as overflow, but we’ve been working that out with them for the eclipse day.

And then a list of other future events, not a lot planned, right now for the year. This May 30th job fair is starting to look like it’s going to be pretty good sized. I will be getting the flyer out shortly to everyone. We’re going to have NYSEG there, we’re going to have Sylvamo there, we’re going to have, you know, Essex County, a bunch of departments are going to be there. CV Tech is bringing all of their students. A number of other schools have signed up to bring kids through. So, it’s still developing, but it looks like it’s going to be a pretty good sized event.

 

LEE: I dropped the ball. I was supposed to contact someone and I forgot. We have three positions open bow and a 4th, about to be opened. Who do I contact?

 

DOUGAN: If you want to relay that information to me. It’s being led by Sherri Snow at CV Tech and Carol Calabrese from IDA is involved, as well.

 

LEE: Thank you

 

DOUGAN: All winter our maintenance guy has been working on, you know, removing pickets and painting refreshing some things. We brought in some rough sawed lumbers, so that it matches the same and so there is a section of fence that he has replaced as the weather has gotten better. So, we’ll keep trying to plug along with that. You know, he’s been repairing some of the benches that were donated by towns and specifically say, town of whatever on, he’s been fixing up some of those things. He’s been doing some grating out back, as we can, in and around wet areas.

And then the other projects, they’re pretty much where they were. The painting of Floral Hall and the painting of the formal CCE building, you know, they’re both, painting is 90% complete on Floral Hall, a little bit of touchup in the spring and then the Ag Center, they were about 50% complete before they shutdown.

Wi-Fi, we do have fiber now, installed at the CCE building and we do have some of the router equipment and stuff has come into IT, so as we get closer to the bigger events we’ll start getting that all setup out there.

The revised entrance at Sisco Street, I do have the plans done, I just have to fill out the forms and the digital sign, I was put on hold a little bit by the Westport Codes Office, but they feel they’re ready to accept the full application at this point.

That’s just kind of what is going on there at the Fairgrounds.

 

LEE: We did meet with the County Sheriff’s Office, last week, two weeks ago about traffic for the festival and their suggestion was to, I actually wasn’t at the meeting, but they suggested and they had great ideas and to try and reroute the traffic and to keep that flowing a little bit better. It wasn’t, we weren’t sure if the new entrance would be there by September. So, other than that, that was the only wildcard.

 

DOUGAN: Okay. we just out our bids back from contractors and stuff like that, so we know what our asphalt costs and everything is. We’re starting to put our overall paving schedule together. If we can do that before those two big events and know we’re going to have it done with our own staff, we will try to, but I don’t want to commit right now and I definitely don’t want to be in the middle of it for either the fair or the harvest festival goes on. So, I would almost prefer to tackle it after your festival.

 

LEE: That’s fine either way. We just want to map out where the volunteers are going to go and how many we need according to the layout. So, we’ll just assume how it is, unless we hear otherwise.

 

DOUGAN: Okay. That’s all we’ve got, unless there are other questions, comments, concerns?

 

MCNALLY: I have nothing on that, hopefully they have that 6-week boot camp program setup before that May 30th.

 

DOUGAN: For in the interns.

 

MCNALLY: This is for the Deputy County Manager. That would be a good time to offer some positions, if we got the right.

 

DOUGAN: Absolutely

 

MCNALLY: But, to let them know that we may have one and we’re not sure how it’s going to work, if we can get that program set by May 30th.

 

DOUGAN: I sent down to Personnel, about a week and half ago, the flyer that we had. The earn and learn flyer from last year and they were going to get that modified, a combination of Personnel and IT, so that we could start getting those to the schools so they can have those things posted. Again, as soon as I can get this flyer from CVTech, even if it’s a draft. We’ll at least get to out to others to start seeing.

 

LEE: If you sent it to us, we can send it, we have a pretty big audience that could be potentially interested.

 

DOUGAN: Right now, it sounds like all the schools are going to come between 10:00 in the morning and 2:00 in the afternoon. So, there’s enough interest right now and enough people that have basically pre-registered, already that they’re actually going to try and have the schools come in a little bit of a shift, so they don’t all show up at the same time to walk through and there’s some companies that are actually hoping to set up outside, because Floral Hall isn’t real good sized, so they’re hoping it’s a nice day and they can setup 10X10 tents and things like that. They’re working on trying to have a food cart trucks there and everything else.

 

MCNALLY: Food goes along ways with kids. Anything else for Jimmy? Great, we’ve done.  

 

 

 

 

 

AS THERE WAS NO FURTHER BUSINESS TO COME BEFORE THIS BUILDING AND FACILITIES TASK FORCE, IT WAS ADJOURNED AT 9:57 AM

 

 

Respectively Submitted,

 

 

 

Dina Garvey, Deputy Clerk

Board of Supervisors