PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE

Tuesday, January 16, 2024 - 9:30 AM

 

Mark Wright, Chairperson

Ike Tyler, Vice-Chairperson

 

Chairman Wright called this Human Services Committee to order at 9:30 am with the following Supervisors in attendance: Clayton Barber, Matthew Brassard, Chris Clark, Robin DeLoria, Shaun Gillilland, Charlie Harrington, Kenneth Hughes, Steve McNally, Jim Monty, Favor Smith, Matthew Stanley, Michael Tyler, Joe Pete Wilson, Davina Winemiller, Meg Wood and Mark Wright. Cathleen Reusser was absent.

 

Department Heads present: Jim Dougan, Mary McGowan, Mike Mascarenas, Heather Sheehan, Kristy Sprague and Dan Woods. Dan Manning was absent. JudyGarrison and Miriam Hadden had been previously excused.

 

Deputies Present: Josh Favro and Dina Garvey

 

News Media present: Alania Penny - Sun Community News.

 

WRIGHT: I will call the Public Safety Committee to order, please stand for the pledge. I donít think we have a Veteranís Report today.

 

******

 

The first item on the agenda was the Veteranís Office with no report given.

 

 

******

 

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was the County Sealer with Dan Woods reporting as follows:

 

WOODS: Good morning everyone, first I want to start off by asking for a resolution accepting and placing on file the 2023 Weights and Measures Annual Report.

 

WRIGHT: Motion by Ike, second by Mr. Doty.

 

RESOLUTION ACCEPTING AND PLACING ON FILE THE 2023 WEIGHTS AND MEASURES ANNUAL REPORT.

Tyler, Doty

 

WRIGHT: Discussion? All in favor? Opposed? Carried.

 

WOODS: Thank you. On the second page of this packet you will see my December report and on the third is the annual, if anybody has any questions on any of that, I am happy to answer.

 

WRIGHT: Any questions?

 

MONTY: Dan, congratulations on getting new 182 short term rentals. How many do we lose in a year, people remove them? Or donít they notify you?

 

WOODS: As far as removals, sometimes you donít find out right away if somebody closes. They just, when they donít end up paying, I think thatís when we really find out that they closed the doors, theyíre not accepting anymore. I donít think weíve lost too many. We get a lot of new registrations. I can talk to Lois about that. She has the actual records on file of whoís removed. If you would like me to get back to you.

 

MONTY: No, I was just curious as to how it coincides with ones that signing up versus ones that are leaving. Hoping it maybe some of our short term rentals can turn into long term rentals, I guess. But, thank you 180 is great. Thatís wonderful, thank you.

 

WRIGHT: Anything else for Dan? Thanks, Dan.

 

WOODS: Thank you, have a great day.

 

******

 

The next item on the agenda was the Board of Elections with Mary McGowan reporting as follows:

 

MCGOWAN: Good morning, everyone. We donít really have anything to report. We do have an election commissionerís conference in Albany. We will be out of the office until probably Thursday or Friday. If there are any questions that anyone has?

 

WRIGHT: I donít see anything, thank you.

 

MCGOWAN: Thank you.

 

******

 

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was the District Attorney, Kristy Sprague reporting as follows:

 

SPRAGUE: Good morning, everyone. I donít have a formal report, I just wanted to welcome the new supervisors and look forward to working with you all and I know we have a Department Head meeting in February, so Iíll save my spiel until then, but so you know, my door is always open if you have any issues between now and then, give me a call, email, drop in, my door is always open. I donít know if anybody has any questions?

 

WRIGHT: Anything for Kristy?

 

SPRAGUE: Thank you

 

WRIGHT: Thanks.

 

******

 

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was Emergency Services with Josh Favro reporting as follows:

 

FAVRO: Good morning, does anyone have any questions on our report from last month?

Our new CAD system went out without a hitch, still working some minor bugs out of it, but it went live a lot better than we thought. Thatís a good thing and we appreciate all your help with that, getting it off the ground.

I do have a few resolutions. First resolution, authorizing the Office of Emergency Services to accept the 2024 list of Deputy Fire Coordinators and Investigators.

 

WRIGHT: Motion by Ken, second by Ike.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE OFFICE OF EMERGENCY SERVICES TO ACCEPT THE 2024 LIST OF DEPUTY FIRE COORDINATORS AND INVESTIGATORS.

Hughes, Tyler

 

WRIGHT: Any discussion? All in favor? Opposed? Carried

 

FAVRO: I have a second resolution, authorizing payment to the City of Glens Falls Fire Department in the amount of $5,884.82 for overtime costs for hazmat training. The funds are going to come from the hazmat consortium, FY20 Grant, budgeted funds.

 

WRIGHT: Motion by Robin, a second by Mr. Doty.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD PAYMENT TO THE CITY OF GLENS FALLS FIRE DEPARTMENT IN THE AMOUNT OF $5,884.82, FOR BACKFILL COST OF HAZMAT TRAINING WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM HAZMAT CONSORTIUM GRANT FY20

DeLoria, Doty

 

WRIGHT: Any discussion? All in favor

 

FAVRO: Our third resolution is authorizing the Purchasing Agent to award the bid for radio technician for Bearcom and issue contract agreements and purchase orders.

 

WRIGHT: Motion by Ike, second by Matt?

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD THE BID AND ISSUE CONTRACTS/PURCHASING ORDERS TO BEARCOM FOR RADIO TECHNICIAN

Tyler, Stanley

 

WRIGHT: Any discussion?

 

MONTY: Josh, is that aradio technician that is assigned to Essex County? Is that what thatís for?

 

FAVRO: Thatís our service agreement with them.

 

MONTY: Thank you

 

FAVRO: I do have one additional that came in after our agenda, itís a resolution to go out to bid for the Terry Mountain inspection.

 

WRIGHT: Let us finish this up.

 

MASCARENAS: We didnít get a vote on it, is all.

 

WRIGHT: Any other questions on this? All in favor? Opposed? Carried.

 

FAVRO: You have an additional resolution to go out to bid for inspection for Terry Mountain tower inspection. Itís supposed to be done every three to five years and it was inspected last in 2019. Theyíll go through and check the tension on the cables and make it so we donít have a high cost repair down the road.

 

WRIGHT: Motion by Mr. Hughes, second by Mr. Stanley.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO GO OUT TO BID FOR THE INSPECTION OF THE TERRY MOUNTAIN RADIO TOWER.

Hughes, Stanley

 

WRIGHT: Any discussion?

 

TYLER: How is that being paid?

 

FAVRO: I can find out for sure. It was something that was just thrown in last week.

 

MASCARENAS: Weíll get it before Ways and Means and have that information. For those of you that arenít aware, especially new Supervisors, Terry Mountain is a site we own. We have a lot of renters on that site, that tower supports a number of vendors. I think the inspection is a really good idea, especially now we have a request from Verizon that wants to put addition equipment on there. We need to make sure, too, that that tower wonít only support their equipment,but leave room should we need equipment for ours. These towers are rated by weight and what you can put on them. So, it does make a lot of sense to do that. Weíll get where itís being paid, prior to Ways and Means, Mr. Tyler. Thatís a good idea.

 

TYLER: Thank you

 

WRIGHT: Anything else for Josh?

 

WINEMILLER: Can you give us an update on the Hyper-Reach robo call system?

 

FAVRO: So, the Hyper-Reach robo system, Iím not 100% familiar with it. Iím sure how familiar Matt, is either with it. We have been talking about implementing it more, as time goes on. You can go onto our County website, Emergency Servicesí website and click on the link for emergency management and you can sign up to get alerts on your cell phone if we have a major event, which we would like to start using more, as far as power outages go and major snow events, road closures, that sort of thing. So, it is available, I just donít think itís been used since the new administration.

 

WINEMILLER: Are there plans to get the word out more?

 

FAVRO: Once Matt and myself and the office, learn how to use it a little bit better, absolutely, because I think itís going to be a great tool to use, down the road.

 

WINEMILLER: Okay, thank you.

 

WRIGHT: Any other discussion?

 

MASCARENAS: We didnít vote, we just had discussion.

 

WRIGHT: Youíre right, anything else?

 

MASCARENAS: We need to vote on the money one, before, what is the last one?

 

FAVRO: The tower inspection, go out to bid for tower inspection for Terry Mountain.

 

MASCARENAS: Did you vote on it? I thought we just have a discussion.

 

WRIGHT: Just discussion.

 

HUGHES: He asked a question about where the money was coming from.

 

MASCARENAS: Right

HUGHES: And then it went Davina.

 

WINEMILLER: I thought we voted.

 

MASCARENAS: Did we vote?

 

GARVEY: No

 

MASCARENAS: We didnít vote, okay, Dina says, no, we didnít.

 

GARVEY: No, you didnít vote.

 

WRIGHT: Okay, any more discussion? All in favor? Opposed? Carried.

 

FAVRO: Thank you

†††††††††††

******

†††††††††††

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was Sheriffís Office with Sheriff Reynolds having been previously excused.

 

 

******

†††††††††††

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was Probation with Heather Sheehan reporting as follows:

 

SHEEHAN: Good morning, everyone and welcome to our new Supervisors. So, you have my report and I can answer any questions you may have.

 

WRIGHT: Any questions for Heather.

 

SHEEHAN: And again, our door is always open, so if you want to stop by and say hello.

 

MASCARENAS: Yeah, just for a quick update, we are preparing them to move, up to the jail facility. They will be relocating out of this building, probably a month, month and half, something like that. So, thereís some carpeting that needs to changed, some painting thatís being done, some other modifications to the facility, so they will be relocating from this location to there within the next couple of months. Weíll also be relocating electionís machines. We have a place up there and an office space for them to work out of during elections that I think is probably going to be a little more conducive to holding elections. Anybody who wants to know more about it, come see me, anybody who wants to go see, weíre more than happy to take you up and show you want that plan is moving forward, but that will keep this building vacant for a period of time. It will allow us to renovate that building, itís not on the short list of things to do, but over the next few years anybody that has been in that Probation Building, itís beautiful on the exterior, but the interior is in pretty rough shape. So, weíve got to do some other things prior to getting the old jail facility to the ground, but renovating that probation building and being able to bring some people back into the facility that we rent is the long term goal for that. So, again of you that want to go see, give us a buzz, weíll be more than happy to bring you up.

 

SHEEHAN: And anytime you want to come to visit our office, youíre more than happy to.

 

GILLILLAND: Is your staff happy to be going over there?

 

SHEEHAN: So, I would say itís about 50/50, nobody likes change, but this is definitely a positive move for us, as far as safety is concerned and just work environment. So, I think it will be a positive move.

 

WRIGHT: Okay, thank you.

 

******

†††††††††††

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was the Public Defenderís Office with Emily Evatt absent.

 

******

†††††††††††

††††††††††† The next item on the agenda was the Conflict Defenderís Office with Miriam Hadden having been previously excused.

 

WRIGHT: Anything else to come before the Committee? We not, weíre adjourned.

 

 

 

 

AS THERE WAS NO FURTHER BUSINESS TO COME BEFORE THIS PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE IT WAS ADJOURNED AT 9:45 AM.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Dina Garvey, Deputy Clerk

Board of Supervisors