PUBLIC SAFETY COMMITTEE

Monday, May 13, 2024 - 9:30 AM

 

Mark Wright, Chairperson

Ike Tyler, Vice-Chairperson

 

Chairman Wright called this Public Safety Committee to order at 9:30 am with the following Supervisors in attendance: Clayton Barber, Matthew Brassard, Chris Clark, Robin DeLoria, Derek Doty, Shaun Gillilland, Charlie Harrington, Kenneth Hughes, Steve McNally, Jim Monty, Cathleen Reusser, Favor Smith, Matthew Stanley, Michael Tyler, Davina Thurston, Meg Wood and Mark Wright.Joe Pete Wilson was excused.

 

Department Heads present: James Dougan, Emily Evatt, Judy Garrison, Mary McGowan, Mike Mascarenas, Heather Sheehan, Matt Watts and Dan Woods.†† Miriam Hadden was excused.

 

Deputies Present: Josh Favro, Jennifer Fifield and Krista Moran.

 

News Media present: None.

 

WRIGHT:I call the public safety committee to order.Stand for the pledge please.Good morning everyone.No report for the Veterans.County Sealer, Dan Woods.

 

WOODS:Good morning everyone.If you turn to the second page youíll see my report from April.I will give everybody a second to look at it.If you have any questions Iíd be happy to answer.\

 

WRIGHT: Any questions for Dan?

 

MONTY:Question for you Dan.I do have a list of six that are not on the list that Mike sent me in Lewis but the question is in speaking with them, they say they are through VRBO and that list that I get, does that include those VRBO ones or does VRBO send the money into the county?

 

GILLILLAND: No.

 

WOODS:As far as Iím aware VRBO does pay the quarterly but we donít have the actual breakdown of whoís paid and who hasnít.

 

GILLILLAND:Isnít that Airbnb that pays?

 

WOODS: Airbnb pays. I thought they were combined at this point. They are not?

 

STANLEY: But my understanding is our local law even if you go through VRBO or Airbnb weíre still required to register with the county so that they are on the list.

 

WOODS: Yes.Everybody is supposed to be registered whether youíre signed up and paid for by another company or not the only problem is and I believe he is right, it was Airbnb that pays the quarterly but we donít get the breakdown of who actually does it.

 

MONTY:Who and actually the community that they are in?

 

WOODS: Right but everybody needs to be registered through the county on that part whether they are signed up and paying through another company or not.

 

MONTY: So, I guess my question would be, how do we track that?

 

WOODS: As far as registration or as far as payment?

 

MONTY: Right.

 

WOODS:Registration, each municipality has been told as far as Iím aware you can correct me if Iím wrong but they should be having their own records as well as the county records just to verify, each town can verify.

 

MONTY: Again Iím not going to put more work on the county and stuff but how do I know in my community just how many?How many does Charlie know?How many does Robin know in their community, who has Airbnb? Iím pretty sure there are several in our communities no one would even know.

 

MASCARENAS:Yeah, I think with the most current list youíve got if youíre saying there are six on there that arenít registered that youíre aware of we should know what those are and we can start that process.

 

MONTY: Iíve been meaning to get it out.Who would it go to? Would it go to Mike or would it go to Dan?

 

MASCARENAS: It would go to Mike starting. It would start with Mike that process and then it moves onto the next level if they canít properly get somebody to register.

 

WOODS:Weíll get letters out to them and if they donít register after the letters then I go and visit them personally if they are even local or even be able to reach thereís a lot of people that own these homes who live in different states so it does take time to get ahold of these people to be able to get the paperwork processed.

 

MONTY: Iíve got a Russian lawyer from Washington DC and the only time I hear from her or will return a call is when sheís got a complaint.

 

GILLILLAND:The only way to do it right is hub work and that is get the list from Mike, have it there in front of you, pull out your assessment book and go on the computer and go through Airbnb Lewis, New York and then go to VRBO listing Lewis, New York and do a google search for short term rental systems because thereís all kinds of them.Most people what Iíve found most of them are Airbnb and VRBO, ADK by Owner and Home Away and thereís one other one is the most of them but thereís literally twenty-five different agencies out there that do this.It took me an entire afternoon and I found 30.

 

HUGHES:I think for a nominal fee Air DNA will allow you to see all of that information on that website but youíve got to pay for it.

 

MONTY: Whatís that website?

 

HUGHES:Air DNA.

 

WRIGHT: Anything else for Dan?

 

MONTY: Thank you Dan.

 

WOODS:Absolutely just get those names and properties over to Mike and myself and weíll get working on them.

 

MONTY: Thank you.

 

WRIGHT: We are good. Thanks.Board of Elections.

 

McGOWAN:Good morning everyone.We have two resolutions in front of you in the packet. One has to do with our summer hours weíd like to change those from 8 to 4 except during the petitioning time then we will be open from 8 to 5.

The other resolution is for authorizing the purchase, changing an original resolution for the amount of the EMS equipment.

 

MASCARENAS: We will do them separate so the first one.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING TO CHANGE THE HOURS IN THE BOARD OF ELECTIONS TO BE OPEN FROM 8:00 A.M. TO 4:00 P.M. BEGININNG MAY 13, 2024 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 16, 2024 WITH THE EXCEPTION THAT THE OFFICE WILL BE OPEN FROM 8:00 A.M. TO 5:00 P.M. ON ANY DAYS DESIGNATED BY EXECUTIVE ORDER OF THE GOVERNOR OR BY ACTION OF THE STATE BOARD OF ELECTIONS FOR THE FILING OF INDEPENDENT PETITIONS.Hughes, Tyler

 

WRIGHT: Discussion on that?

 

STANLEY:So the hours are changing from 8 to 4 to what?

 

McGOWAN: From 8:30 to 4:30 to 8:00 to 4:00.

 

STANLEY: Okay.

 

McGOWAN: Just a half hour difference.

 

WRIGHT: Any other questions?All in favor, opposed Ė carried.

 

McGOWAN: The second resolution has to do with amending a prior resolution concerning equipment purchase of the election machines.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING AN AMENDMENT TO RESOLUTION #82, OF 4/3/2024, AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A CONTRACT/AGREEMENT OR PURCHASE ORDER FOR THE FOLLOWING: (1) BOARD OF ELECTIONS Ė PURCHASE VOTING MACHINES FROM DOMINION VOTING FOR THE BOE DEPARTMENT IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $359,800.00, WITH $120,000.00 TO COME FROM BOE RESERVE ACCOUNT, $72,428.65 FROM NYS GRANT FUNDING AND THE CORRESPONDING ELECTION MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE/ HARDWARE AND TRAINING IN THE AMOUNT OF $11,070.00 TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Smith, Tyler

 

WRIGHT: Any discussion on that? All in favor, opposed Ė carried.

 

McGOWAN: And the last bit of information June 25th is the primary and there will only be one and that is in Moriah.A Republican primary and early voting will be at the Fire House we changed instead of in Lewis or Lake Placid.

 

WRIGHT: Any other questions? If not, thank you very much.District Attorney?Here today?Alright then letís go to Emergency Services, Matt.

 

WATTS: Good morning.Youíve got our report. Is there any questions about it?

 

WRIGHT: Any questions for Matt?

 

WATTS: Iíve got two resolutions one, is to award a bid to CHLOETA for the Hazard Mitigation Plan update in the amount of $47,197.13, to come from budgeted funds.This is something that we have to do every five years is update it.It also covers all the towns as well so you donít have to your own individual plan.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE PURCHASING AGENT TO AWARD A BID TO CHLOETA FOR THE HAZARD MITIGATION PLAN UPDATE IN THE AMOUNT OF $47,197.13, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Tyler, Stanley

 

WRIGHT:Discussion?

 

MASCARENAS: Yeah, just so everybody is aware those hazard mitigation plans are required if you are going to be able to accept FEMA funds when you have emergencies and those types of things so that plan is critical when a disaster happens thatís one of the first check boxes on that FEMA form is do you have an approved Hazard mitigation plan is up to date if you canít check that box, they leave.

 

WRIGHT:Anything else?If not, all in favor, opposed Ė carried.

 

WATTS:And the other resolution is we passed it in the EMS committee this morning a resolution to support the rescue EMS campaign thereís several things in the legislation to go through so we passed a resolution to support that.

 

MASCARENAS:For those of you that werenít involved thereís a list of resolutions or legislative items that are surrounding EMS that are being discussed. The session is probably going to be set to end pretty soon, they are around district formations, they are around billing and property tax verses income tax, legislation for volunteers those types of things so what we would like to do in the committee is have a formal resolution by this board but understand that we are going to send a letter to our elected representatives asking them to support this legislation so that we get it to them prior to the legislative session ending.

 

RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF THE RESCUE EMS CAMPAIGN AND URGING GOVERNOR HOCHUL TO ENACT THE RESCUE EMS LEGISLATIVE PACKAGE.Tyler, Smith

 

WRIGHT: Any questions or discussion?If not, all in favor, opposed Ė carried.

 

HUGHES:Quick question Sir.I noticed on your dropped EMS calls chart for the year the Westport, Willsboro, Essex corridor it is challenged with dropped calls. Iím just curious, is that a typography cellular issue or if thatís an issue on our side?

 

WATTS: Are you on EMS calls?

 

HUGHES: Dropped EMS calls third page from the end.

 

WATTS: So thatís when the agency doesnít have staffing to respond to the ambulance it goes to mutual aid.

 

HUGHES: Oh, itís not technical or the ability to connect itís related to staffing?

 

WATTS: Yes. Itís where the ambulance doesnít respond and it goes to mutual aid.

 

HUGHES: I understand that now. Thank you.

 

WATTS:Youíre welcome.

 

WRIGHT: Anything else for Matt?If not, thank you.Sheriffís office, not here today.Probation.

 

SHEEHAN:First off, you have my report.I can answer any questions you may have.We are just about settled into the Public Safety building and things are going very well up there so if you have a few minutes and would like to stop up and say hello we would be happy to see you and give you a little tour of where we are at any time.

 

HUGHES: I remember my tour of Probation three years ago or so you have a ton of archives and a ton of documentation did that stay there, did it go with you to the new building or did it go to another location?

 

SHEEHAN: Everything is with us in our building. We still have about 8,000 files so we are working on getting them smaller and having them electronically saved.

 

HUGHES: I remember we talked about digitalization and I didnít know, at that point I questioned how that was going.

 

SHEEHAN: We are still working on that.Itís a slow and steady process.

 

MASCARENAS: I would like to set up a date soon to go through not only that building but the old probation building while we are not going to do much with it this year, next year thatís going to turn into a big project. The budget will be here before we know it in terms of remodel.For those of you that havenít been in there youíll see what the need is and I think seeing the space they are occupying now and the difference in that space youíll feel pretty good about too.So, weíll get something out to everybody those that can make it, weíd love to have you.If you canít you can set something up with Heather on the side to go up another time but I would like to have as many board members as possible especially to see this old one and what we are going to be planning for possibly next year.

 

WRIGHT:Anything else for Heather?

 

EVATT:Heather how is transportation going in getting people to come to Lewis instead of Etown?

SHEEHAN: So we had less than a handful of people that were required public transportation so for the most part they are own finding rides getting there so, yeah, I would say it is less than a handful that require extra assistance but Iíve been in conversations with Doreen who is the head of Transportation so her and I have been in conversations and weíre gathering numbers and Iíve also been in contact with the Sheriffís Department and seeing what we can work out together to come up with a plan if that works out with everybody.

 

EVATT: Great, thanks.

 

WRIGHT: Okay if thereís nothing else Heather thank you.Public Defender.

 

EVATT: Good morning everyone. I donít have a report but Iím here to answer any questions you might have.

 

WRIGHT: Any questions? If not, thank you very much.

 

EVATT: Thanks for being so welcoming to the Deputy last time.

 

WRIGHT:Conflict Defender has been excused. Anything else to come before the committee this morning?

 

MONTY: Steve, our Veteranís office howís the new guy working out?

 

McNALLY: I donít know. I havenít talked to her yet. I will today.

 

MASCARENAS: I can tell you itís going pretty well. I stay in touch with her pretty regularly.Sheís tickled to finally have somebody here that is supporting her so there is a new State Representative.

 

McNALLY: Yeah, I want to have a sit down I just havenít gotten to it yet.

 

MONTY: Thank you.

 

MASCARENAS: So it is going pretty well she is very excited that after nearly two years sheís got somebody there to support her.Itís good.

 

WRIGHT: Anything else?If not, we are adjourned.Thank you.

 

††††††††††† As there was no further discussion to come before this public safety committee it was adjourned at 9:48 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Judith Garrison, Clerk

Board of Supervisors