DPW - COMMITTEE

Monday, April 22, 2024 - 9:30 AM

 

Robin DeLoria, Chairperson

Clayton Barber, Vice-Chairperson

 

Chairman DeLoria called this DPW Meeting to order at 9:30 am with the following Supervisors in attendance: Clayton Barber, Matthew Brassard, Chris Clark, Robin DeLoria, Derek Doty, Shaun Gillilland, Charlie Harrington, Ken Hughes, James Monty, Cathleen Reusser, Favor Smith, Matt Stanley, Ike Tyler, Davina Thurston, Margaret Wood and Mark Wright.Steve McNally was excused.Joe Pete Wilson was absent.†††

 

Department Heads present: Doreen Abrahamsen, Jim Dougan, Judy Garrison and Michael Mascarenas.

 

Also present: Alice Halloran

 

News media: None present.

 

DELORIA:Okay weíll call this April 22nd DPW meeting to order please stand for the pledge.Mr. Dougan.

 

DOUGAN:Good morning.Iím going to ask Doreen to do my meeting today since Iíve done herís all these years.Unless anyone has any questions on my report Iíll just jump into the few resolutions I have?

 

DELORIA: Thatís fine Jimmy.

 

DOUGAN:The first resolution is regarding one of our ongoing Federal Aid projects. The project on Alexandria Avenue, that bridge is just about to go out to bid so this is a contract amendment for construction phase services for our engineering firm so itís authorizing a contract amendment with CPL Architects, Engineers, Landscape Architects and Surveyors long name, in the amount not to exceed $260,000.This is a federal aid funded project 80% from DOT, 20% maximum from local, we are working on getting 15% from the state but we donít have those exact numbers from the state yet.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A CONTRACT AMENDMENT WITH CPL ARCHITECTS, ENGINEEERS, LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS AND SURVEYEORS, DPC IN AN AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $260,000.00, FOR PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING SERVICES TO INCLUDE CONSTRUCTION ADMINSTRATION AND CONSTRUCTION INSPECTION SERVICES FOR THE ALEXANDRIA AVENUE OVER LAKE GEORGE OUTLET BRIDGE REPLACEMENT PROJECT LOCATED IN THE TOWN OF TICONDEROGA.Wright, Brassard

 

DELORIA: Any questions from the committee?Being none, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN: Number two, Iím requesting a purchase order for Finke Equipment.Itís in the amount of $23,233.03, thatís labor and materials necessary to repair one of the pavers prior to paving season. That will be coming from budgeted funds; further authorizing the county chairman or county manager to sign that purchase order. We put a new screed plate on the paver, updated the extension arms on it and we did some control work.Finke has our OEM contract for parts and then with our lack of mechanics, we had them do the labor as well.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE COUNTY CHAIRMAN OR COUNTY MANAGER TO EXECUTE A PURCHASE ORDER WITH FINKE EQUIPMENT IN THE AMOUNT OF $23,344.03, FOR LABOR AND MATERIALS TO REPAIR COUNTY OWNED ASPHALT PAVER IN THE DPW, WITH FUNDS TO COME FROM BUDGETED FUNDS.Clark, Stanley

 

DELORIA: Any questions from the committee?Being none, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

DOUGAN: Number three Iím requesting a budget amendment increasing revenues and appropriations itís in the amount of $17,857.73, thatís insurance recovery money for a plow truck.In early March after the ground had started to warm up some one of the wings of the plow truck kind of caught the edge in a spot that was still hard and then it jumped up and slammed the side of the truck so it took out the passenger mirror, the passenger door, it did some other damage so this is to fix that.

 

DELORIA: It could have been worse.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE DPW INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $17,857.73, INSURANCE RECOVERY FOR DPW PLOW TRUCK A-18.Clark, Stanley.

 

DELORIA: Any questions from the committee?Being none, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.Thank you Jim.Anything on Jimís report from anyone?

 

DOUGAN: We will be starting paving in a couple weeks. Weíre getting ready to do that.Weíll probably be down south first.Hopefully, honestly weíll be on Baldwin Road and Black Point Road I know youíve got that triathlon coming up, the weather is typically a little warmer to the south side of the county so thatís where we are hoping to get started.Iíve got to manage a couple contractors.

 

MONTY:Will the numbers Jim, be coming out Wednesday at the Highway Association meeting for the black top?

 

DOUGAN: Oh, the bids?Yup weíve got a package of all the bids weíve accepted we are going to hand that out to the Highway Supers.If they arenít at the meeting then weíll try to get it to them somehow.

 

MONTY:Okay. Good, thank you.

 

HUGHES:Good morning Jim. Iím not on this committee just a quick question about paving crews.Typically weíve had in house paving crews are we planning on having in house paving crews?Or will we be going out for that?

 

DOUGAN: We did go out to bid to have an option of contractor paving but we are planning to do most paving ourselves. We have a couple of locations whereís thereís a lot of either sewer manholes, water gate valves things like that. We are not always great at that. I think it was prior to your tenure in Essex we paved Lake Street, Main Street and filled one of your manholes full of asphalt and it made the cover come off so I may use a contractor to do a little bit of those areas that are difficult but most all of the paving we are going to do ourselves.

HUGHES:Thatís great. I was just looking at that from the Personnel angle.Iím glad weíve got a crew. I know itís not always easy to have.

 

DOUGAN: Itís a little bit of a balance.Itís just nice to have that other tool in the tool box when we need it. I did give Mr. Clark a heads up that next week we will be doing some training with some new guys on the paving crew.We are actually going to go to Frontier Town. We are going to take that road off of Frontier Town that goes down in as part of the grant, the Restore New York grant and weíre going to actually do some training with our guys laying just some gravel on that.If they arenít perfect with it it doesnít really matter but I can claim the time and everything toward our match while training them.

 

REUSSER: So if Iím understanding Mr. Hughes words, the county will pave town roads?

 

DOUGAN: We do. We do pave town roads. We have shared services agreements with all the towns. So, if you have a road that needs to be done we can even help you figure out how much asphalt needs to go on it.Youíre buying all that then youíre reimbursing us at preset rates for any of our time just like when you do work for us we reimburse you based on that.

 

REUSSER: I just have a patch job to tie us over to the sewage waste water when you tear things up.

 

DOUGAN:Your highway superintendents can tell you this that at the last highway superintendentís meeting I did ask, we are down people. I know youíre down people in order to accomplish things we need to do it together so if youíre going to need me to pave for you then I need your crew to try and help me with other stuff too. If you can do some ditching for me or cut some trees or put a culvert in you know, please, we just have to work together to get this done.

 

REUSSER: Will do.

 

DELORIA: Anything else for Mr. Dougan?If not, Jim youíre excused.

 

HALLORAN:Good morning.News for us, we had a successful tree sale and weíre doing a tree planting on Friday and Saturday in partnership with Trout Unlimited and the Boquet River Association so if anybody wants to sign up I have the sign ups here and finally we do have a technician leaving so we will be flying that job pretty soon in the next couple days and everything else should be in the report.Any questions?

 

DELORIA: Anything for Alice?

 

MONTY:How did this tree sale go number one and did you have any trees left over people didnít come and get?

 

HALLORAN: We have only a few trees left over. I think like, ten or twenty so if a municipality wants a few white oaks but yeah, it went really well.Just a few that didnít get picked up yet.

 

THURSTON: So if I was picking up when can we do that?

 

HALLORAN:They are at our office. They should be there in the next hour or so so by the time youíre done here if you want to stop by.

 

THURSTON: How big are they?

 

HALLORAN: They are small.You can pick them in a car.

 

THURSTON: Thank you.

 

DELORIA: Okay does anybody have anything else for Ms. Halloran?Thank you Alice.Okay, Ms. Abrahamsen.

 

ABRAHAMSEN:Hope I do you Justice Jim.You have my report in front of you.If anybody has any questions?And I also have a couple of resolutions.The first is an insurance acceptance for one of our buses that was in a small accident, thatís in the amount of $5,426.29.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A BUDGET AMENDMENT IN THE TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT INCREASING REVENUES AND APPROPRIATIONS IN THE AMOUNT OF $5,426.29, INSURANCE RECOVERY OF REPAIRS ON BUS 37.Brassard, Stanley

 

DELORIA: Any questions on that particular resolution? If not, all in favor, any opposed Ė carried.

 

ABRAHAMSEN:The second one is to accept operating assistance from 2022, from New York State and the reason for this is it has already been anticipated in the year but they are giving us a little bit more than we expected so we need to reaccept it.

 

RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT TO ACCEPT 2022 SECTION 5311 OPERATING ASSISTANCE (FEDERAL SHARE) IN THE AMOUNT OF $157,324.00, FROM NYSDOT.Clark, Brassard

 

DELORIA:Any questions on that? Being none, all in favor, opposed Ė carried.Thank you.

 

MASCARENAS:So, does everybody know Dori?Dori is our Transportation Coordinator for all of you that probably figured that out by her report and resolutions but if you have any issues, transportation questions give Doreen a call. She has been with us a lot of years in a couple of different capacities but sheís been doing the work behind the scenes for the last several years in terms of our transportation program so there she is.

 

ABRAHAMSEN: Nice to meet you all.

 

DELORIA: Okay anything else?

 

GILLILLAND:I got a call by Joe Zalewski on Friday to give you a download on things the DEC is working on our behalf so I thought I would give a quick overview of all the things we went up there and threw at them.I think that weíre actually turning the tide of battle with them a little bit.The biggest one in my mind is Chesterfield.We had said, no, the bottom of the pond is not to draw water from since the 1920ís is not part of the Forest Preserve Iím sorry if the, I donít know the Mohawk Valley Community College lawyers were to claim that but no, the agency said it belongs to the Office of General Services so Chesterfield is going to be able to move forward. I did not get word on the answering thing and I forgot to ask on the hearing issue, sound thing. Iím sorry about that.

On the hatchery, they have accepted our basically it was our idea, Toddís idea originally so they accepted what weíve been showing.They have accepted on the bio oxygen command that we donít have to do a single hit when it is cleaning if we do several hits over a time period then the tank cleaning issue, we even gave them that data but it shows we meet deployments and they said good. They sent us a letter Dan Manning is working on answering it going to April 30th they want a one-year PILOT program continue operation and also for us to determine with conjunction with them a production in which makes actually sense because I donít think thereís been any higher level of review or even scientific review of where we are stocking and where there is wild population issues. They even admitted that, we turned in our stocking plan which we think is a good idea and they have just always accepted it so now they admitted they will do more of their homework.Thereís that.

The transportation on the buses Ė the hiker shuttle buses they still want to keep that one hiker shuttle bus for their I guess hiker museum. The rest of the hiker buses though I had put forward to them before that if we are going to have hiker shuttles and stuff they should be used for community needs and they liked that idea.One thing I put out there was all of our summer camps do field trips why canít we use those hiker shuttles to take the kids around to things to help them enhance appreciation for park and wildlife spaces so they really like that idea.They said well, maybe we can actually take them to a water park then they could run the tv with things about the park and high peaks and hiking and safety and things like that so thatís what they really liked. I forgot to tell Mike about this the other day because I was telling him about other things but if we could come up with a little bit of brainstorm, come back with what kind of community things.For any of you guys running community events for kids or the summer camp or even the elderly let us know what kind of community needs we will be able to fill for that using those buses we would appreciate that.

Solid waste Ė as you know, they sent us that letter telling us to become with the whole plant and we told them itís going to be $104,000 thatís a solid number we got for the study to be able to do that.They understand that so they basically said, what if we were to advance a portion of the money instead of the $600,000 they owe us currently after the Governor signs this next budget, it will be $900,000 that they owe us but letís go with if they advance us $200,000 basically. I said, well, what do we need for that?They said come up with some of the answer to the letter and I have to go over it with Jim and Mike what was in the letter and then push it back.So it looks like they are starting to work with us. We still need to be able to strong arm them to keep it going but they did listen.Thatís my report.

 

DELORIA:Thank you Shaun.

 

REUSSER:Just as a side, I have this conservation magazine that has a very good article in it about heritage trout and itís very informative on where the DEC thinking is with regards to preserving that old lineage fish.It might give us an idea of what their thinking is at and where they may be headed.

 

GILLILLAND:Iíve talked to Jim Pinero who is one of the fishery guys and theyíve got a pretty good idea but he even admitted they have just kind of just let it go.They werenít really putting a scientific approach on it. I mean if we were stocking for the fishermen going to Hungry Trout and stuff the guy to my left here would be all over us but so, there is a demand and a need for that and we do have fish stocks that are sensitive we donít want over fish them.

 

MONTY:Just the cynical me Shaun, did the State put any of this in writing?

 

GILLILLAND: They have some of it in writing.

 

MONTY: Good.

BARBER: I did receive my forms from DEC. I got an email of the forms this morning I was reviewing them.They just told me to send them into OSG.It did say something about a fee but I havenít checked into what that is going to be no detail as of yet so I will keep you informed.

 

DELORIA: Anything else to come before the committee?

 

HARRINGTON: Yes, the Town of Crown Point waste water system is on an order of consent and has been for several years.The end result is we are going to have to stay on that order of consent because there is absolutely no funding for a new waste water plant. We had had a plan that was previously approved by DEC. We activated that plan by advertising for bid, we accepted a bid and

then DEC decided to change the regulations in regards to phosphorus and that plan was denied. The end result is the waste water district is a half a million dollars in debt with nothing to show for it. So, again, weíll stay on that order of consent until common sense comes to the top of the DEC.

 

DELORIA: That will be eternity wonít it?I might as well give a brief update on the Newcomb waste water treatment plant. I found out a week or so ago that that was built back in 2011, so that we wouldnít be required to have a certified plan operator essentially it is a glorified residential system for 75 homes.And I think Iím guessing at this or maybe Iím throwing darts at the dart board but I think Iím hitting it.they hire these interns to come in fresh out of school and they start flipping through the regulation book never going back to the original plan and intent and when I walked through the door in 2018, I get a letter stating that we are facing a $18,000 a day fine if we donít have some sort of a plan to put two certified operators in play. So three weeks ago I got a letter reiterating that because we still didnít have two certified operators. I had sent them to school down in Morrisonville one passed, the other failed and the letter says that they are going to okay, this is $17,000, they are going to reduce the amount so last week I get this email from Tracy Smith who is our contractual certified operator and Tracy is telling me that they are going to rescind this violation notice because the rating of our plant does not require now weíre going back ten years, a certified operator.So I think thatís a plus for us but now they are reducing the PH levels that weíre able to discharge into this brook thatís a mile from the Hudson River, weíve been doing it for years. We do treat for bacteria so itís clean water, I wouldnít drink it but they claim you can going back into it and then ammonia levels they are asking us to start testing ammonia levels so bottom line, weíre going to have to apply for a grant to do an engineering study to see what we are going to have to do to and itís probably going to be increasing the sand beds and having more but we only have so much to be able to do that but thatís kind of the update.They just donít do enough research before they bring out this big hammer and start polishing their badge you know?So thatís what Iíve been experiencing.Itís absolutely ridiculous. I donít believe it will change anytime soon but I believe Essex County is doing the right thing.Pull back the curtain and show them what they are all about. I think itís the only way to move forward.Same with you Charlie if we can do anything here to help we should actually do it.Thatís all I have.Okay, we stand adjourned.

 

††††††††††† As there was no further discussion to come before this DPW committee it was adjourned at 9:55 a.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

Judith Garrison, Clerk

Board of Supervisors