We support breastfeeding as the #1 choice for newborn and infant nutrition! Breast milk provides babies with perfect nutrition containing the nutrients and antibodies babies needs for excellent health. It is easier for babies to digest and creates a bond between mother and child. Breastfeeding also has health benefits for the nursing mother. We have a number of initiatives that support breastfeeding:
1. Lactation (breastfeeding/nursing) Consulting – We have a Nurse certified as an Certified Lactation Consultant (CLC). She is available to work with all families –regardless of income – during all stages of lactation to assist moms and families through this amazing process. The benefits to babies and moms are endless and we are committed to providing this support, either through in-person visits or by phone. Any provider or agency can refer, as well as moms themselves! Call 873-3500 to ask for this service or make an appointment.
2. Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Connection – the WIC Program can connect WIC participants with a Peer Counselor. Peer counselors are mothers who have breastfed at least one infant and received special training from WIC in how to provide breastfeeding support. Call 873-3560 for more information.
3. Breast Pump Availability – the WIC Program can also issue personal use breast pumps or loan out hospital-grade breast pumps – at no charge! – to WIC participants. The type of pump issued depends on the participant’s needs and available pumps at the time of request.
BreastfeedingPartners.org is site for pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers and breastfeeding peer counselors by the NYS WIC Training Center.
IN OUR COMMUNITY
1. Policy Development – We’re promoting the adoption of breastfeeding-friendly policies with community partners at hospitals, healthcare clinics, childcare providers and other community-based places.
2. Environmental Supports – We’re working to create supportive community environments (like wall-art, window clings, posters, and more) that made breastfeeding easier and more comfortable within our communities.
3. Marketing & Communication – We’re working with media partners to advance the social norm of breastfeeding and nursing in public through print articles and imagery.